'15-16 Lesson 1 - The Impact of Innovation

I will do it on the 2nd day of school as First day is for green sheets and an ice breaker activity. I need to give them notebooks as well.

I did this lesson on Friday and it worked great. The Post-it notes were great on being able to group students and get them meeting others. I changed the timing a little and gave the groups 5 minutes to come up with an idea and then 15 minutes to sketch it out. During the presentation, I played devil’s advocate and asked questions about their innovation dealing with safety, how it fully works… I explained the purpose was to 1) start using brainstorming as a way to develop an idea and 2) realizing the time it takes time to fully develop an idea.
The students did enjoy the activity and appeared to be fully engaged.

This lesson is a great way to start off this exciting course. I cannot wait to try it out in September. The resources are helpful.

I like how this lesson lowers the affective level for students. Students can use their creativity to produce their communication methods for the activity. There are no wrong solutions and the prompts help students reflect and revise their solutions. Should this be given on the first day or should the first day consists of students logging into code.org? Honestly, I am open to beginning the year with this lesson. For those who have taught APCSP, what are your thoughts?

I initially thought I would like to start with an exercise from ESC , “What is a computer”; however, I want to stick as closely to the lesson plan provided so I can become fully immersed in this curriculum, because I felt that when I introduced ECS I may have missed some exercises that may have been beneficial by adding additional material to the curriculum.

I’m excited about this! With the first week of school at Chicago Public Schools being 4 days, I can see spreading this, getting up to speed with various procedures and technologies, and perhaps the extensions lasting the full week. I think I will stick pretty closely to the lesson plan, with some of the prompts personalized in my own slideshow. I downloaded the innovation video, and will likely do that for all videos rather than depend on streaming them smoothly. I also downloaded the Blown to Bits PDF, and might consider the recommended section. Although it seems to make more sense if the section before (Commercial-Free Search) starting on p139 is included. Since I’m using Google Classroom, I may introduce the process of handing in work through that by having students complete the rubric doc.

I like the lesson as-is, and I’d like to encourage the students to devote at least one page in their journals to ideas they can use later for their Performance Tasks.

Maybe as a part of this lesson, the students can start a list of “Things I’m Interested In” so when it’s time to choose a topic, they have this list to consult.

I teach in a small school where all the kids know each other very well already, so I may minimize the ‘getting to know you’ parts. I like that the lesson is so well scripted so I can rely on it or modify it as needed for my purposes.

I think I may try this as a “reduction” type of activity, meaning, put the students in groups of 2 (maybe 3) and then combine them, sharing their ideas with larger groups, and grow in that fashion up to a size of about 1/4 of the class, around 8-9. The larger groups will then decide which innovation to share with the whole class. After about 10 minutes of this the “winning” groups will present their ideas to the class. I also would have the students provide a journal entry about which innovation “other than their own” they liked and why.

I liked the whole idea of getting the students motivated by having them discuss things that they are good at before introducing them to the lesson.

I will use most of this lesson. I like the “What do you know a lot about?” beginning. It brings some prior knowledge and also helps me to get to know my students better. I think then I will show the video. We will then do the Prototype a Technical Innovation piece. We will share those with the class. I don’t think I will need any additional resources for this lesson.

The first 2 days of class are shortened and can be hectic but I want to start the class with content. I will have students brainstorm a list of things they are interested in and then have the class make a display of the range of interests. I would have the students pick one interest on their list that they know a lot about. I will use this for the group work the following day. I will think of a way to deal with new students on day 2. Day 2 will focus on the prototyping activity. Day three will be the video, finishing up the prototype activity and getting codestudio set up…

I am planning to use the lesson as written with minor modifications. I think I will have them do a gallery walk and use post its to give feedback and about the innovations.

Question:

1.The lesson plan talks about Groups of 4 but the student Activity Sheet talks about Pairs?

I think I’m going to use Chipes Everywhere video as homework rather then the Blown to Bits Excerpt. I know many of my students are interested in medicine and I like how it frames innovation. A downside is that doesn’t have the connection to the negative implications of innovation. http://richannel.org/christmas-lectures/2008/2008-chris-bishop#/christmas-lectures-2008-chris-bishop--chips-with-everything
with the second assessment question on innovation 25 years from now.

I don’t know how much time I will have in the first few days so I don’t know how I will break up the exercise yet. I like that it helps to get to know the students and put their interests up front. I think I will use this in my 9th grade Intro class also.

I haven’t decided yet whether I want to formally assess the posters using the Rubric or leave this as a very low stakes first day activity. (update: now I can’t find the rubric, was it taken down?)

I am going to use the question in code studio as a Do Now on paper: https://docs.google.com/document/d/1GMRVaYt80-aRTIqYAI1zqaY9ZxIbG5uZFEMuZR9q6Gg/edit#

This lesson is a great introduction to the what the students will be doing all year. I like the idea of having students sort of introduce themselves by sharing something they know a lot about. And then building upon that to see how technology is related to the things the students bring up. Thinking about how to improve the technologies they have already discussed will be much better than starting with a fresh slate. I usually have some category suggestions “movies, games, sports, hobbies, etc” to help some students think of something they can share.

I like the lesson…although i am concerned about the time! A lot to cover in one class period (especially since kids are still sort of in summer mode). I really like the transition between…what they know to innovation! This is a great idea and really allows kids to start thinking about innovation in things they enjoy!

I wonder if it would be possible to use a Google account to have students participate in a classroom only forum to post questions and to give feedback to the teacher in KWL format?

I will probably follow the sequence mentioned previously because using the “what I know” gives everyone a chance to shine, figure out which peer they can go to for help and provides an early access point to drawing connections to “life” and “CS”.

Since this is the first lesson I would be concerned that the students would not be able to come up with an innovation and prototype. I think I will have to find one and model it before the students attempt the task.

Lesson One went really well. I was very excited about the student innovations aligned to their interests. Students were engaged the entire lesson. Unfortunately, we did not have time to watch the video or go to the online classroom. I will begin with this part of the lesson tomorrow. I enjoyed the activity of grouping students by their post it interests. This was unique.