'16-'17 General Discussion for Lesson 3.2

Use this thread to discuss your questions and comments about how to run the lesson.

/empty - starting general for Lesson 3.2 = 259+ dicossnition

I donā€™t see objectives or Standards Alignment for this lesson? Are they yet to be done?

Fixed. Sorry.

Also, if you havenā€™t found it yet, we do have a page that maps the whole course. https://curriculum.code.org/csp/standards/

This lesson ran long. The whole second day was spent on Min Card with the Human Machine and still only 1 pair out 10 got it to work.

Hmmā€¦ Any suggestions for us?

I ran this lesson with my APCSA students the 1st week of school. I figured it would be a good review and launch. It took them a class period (35 ,minutes) to understand the first task enough to write an algorithm. I had them work in groups with actual cards to work on a solution. The next day, we worked on using the limited set of commands. I moved onto Java on Day 3. It was enlightening to observe them working in a ā€˜neutralā€™ language and review some big ideas from CSP.

Andrea

1 Like

This lesson ran fairly quick for my class. About 40 minutes for both activities. Are there any sorting or searching algorithm lessons in code.org (bubble, linear, insertion, binary, etcā€¦)? I was tempted to have some of my students who finished this lesson quickly to write an algorithm to sort the list of 8 cards and wrap it up with a lesson explaining the types of sorting and searching algorithms.

I just noticed the next lesson kind of ties into sorting. I think itā€™s important to remind students to think like a computer. A computer can only do one thing at a time. As a human, itā€™s easy to stand back and observe the entire row and find that itā€™s out of order. If they think of it as a computer, theyā€™ll have to take it step by step. For example, if a ā€œ4ā€ is the smallest card I have in a row, a computer doesnā€™t know the ā€œ4ā€ is the smallest card unless it checks the ENTIRE row first. Humans sort of do the same thing but not as linearā€¦

@joe_padon I think you make a good point - there are TONS of extensions for this task! Depending on who your students are, I think you could even get into a discussion about run time. I think this goes WAY beyond the intent of the lesson, but having extensions ready to go is always important!

Another thing to watch out for is students taking a little creative liberty with the code. My students finished really fast too, but then I realized they were using if, then statements and while loops (neither of which are ā€œapprovedā€ lines of code). Once I realized this I made them go back and figure it out againā€¦ that took them a bit more time.

So my students want to know if they can cut and paste different pieces of code together (ā€œsplicing themā€).

Is that something one would allow? Iā€™m personally not comfortable with it as I want the kids to struggle through using the limited commands they have.

Just looking for opinions. Thanks!

In the beginning, Iā€™d want them to have that struggle with the limited commands too. But, when they are working on bigger projects, Iā€™d be okay with them cutting and pasting code from other programs that they have built. But within the same project, Iā€™d tell them that if they are feeling the need to cut and paste, they should look into creating functions.

1 Like

Thanks for the reply! That is how I suspect I would do it myself.

Do you have the answer for activity guide the Human machine language of Lesson 2. Thanks

@ernanisimba

The answer key can be found in CodeStudio in the blue ā€˜teacherā€™ box at the bottom of the student facing lesson overview.

Andrea

Can you elaborate? I can not find the answer key anywhere. If you follow the link for answer key it just takes you to this page which does not include an answer key: https://studio.code.org/s/csp3/stage/2/puzzle/1
Please advise.

If you are using a verified teacher account, you should see a blue box at the bottom as shown. This contains links to the keys.

As I did this lesson, I too thought it would be a really good one to intro sorting in CS-A! Will incorporate next year too!

Wondering if there is a digital file that contains the ā€˜artworkā€™ for the code.org Human Machine Language commands from early in Unit3? Know I can cut out, scan etc but thought Iā€™d check because Iā€™d like to insert some into an exam!
(wouldnā€™t it be great if they were like Scratch blocks where we could build what we want in an editor and then clip it and insert in a word doc?

Thanks for any assistance!