Basic Scratch Vocabulary

Here’s a list of basic scratch vocabulary I’m using. The students will be give 2 vocab quizzes on these terms through the online site Edmodo. I believe learning the basic terminology of a programming language can help with the learning curve.

1. Scratch - Programming language based on graphical code blocks.
  2. Blocks - Programming commands that you snap together to create a program in Scratch.
  3. Projects - A completed program in scratch.
  4. Stage - Where your project is displayed when active.
  5. Scripts - The instructions that determines what happens on the stage.
  6. Sprite - The objects on the Scratch stage that performs actions.
  7. Backdrop - Background displayed on your Scratch stage.
  8. Costumes - Alternate appearances of your sprite.
  9. Coordinates - Displays the location of your X and Y positions.
  10. Drawing - Using the Scratch “Pen” feature to write on the stage.
  11. Repeat Blocks - Blocks that allows you to repeat scripts multiple times.
  12. Cloning - Making a copy of a sprite.
  13. Speech Bubble - Graphical bubble that shows a sprite speaking.
  14. Thought Bubble - Graphical bubble that displays a sprite thinking.
  15. Volume - The loudness of a sound file.
  16. Tempo – The playing speed of a sound file.
4 Likes

I love this idea and these vocabulary terms you have chosen!

@thomasb Brian - how do you introduce the vocabulary words or what strategies do you use to get the students familiar with the words they need to know?

It would be fun to see the students do a scavenger hunt to discover what they could find out about the environment using the words and see if they could put the definitions with the correct words.

The vocab terms are introduced during the class discussions. The students will have 2 quizzes on the terms. Basically the terms are split in half for the quizzes. Each quiz will only be given after the terms are introduced in the discussions.

Thanks. I believe that knowing the basic terminology for programming languages are vital to the student’s understanding.

@thomasb It is important for students to be able to put a term and definition to what they are doing. I have some of the basic programming concepts in vinyl on my classroom walls. It makes for good discussion, connections and decoration.

Same here! I can make this into a word wall for my class! Awesome!

Do you have a copy of the quiz?

Vocab Quiz 1.pdf (55.7 KB)
Vocab Quiz 2.pdf (56.8 KB)

2 Likes

Thanks so much for sharing

Great list of vocabulary words. I have used the Frayer Model to help students learn the words. I also made a graphic organizer where students had to fill in the areas of the user interface.

1 Like

This is great. May you share your graphic organizer?

Thanks so much for sharing^^

great idea @thomasb :tada::tada::tada: