Computer Science in Science PD: Computational Thinking And The Framework For K-12 Science Education - Discussion

The skills and lessons learned through the integration of computer science and science will spread across curricular areas and real life skills. As students learn to pose questions and answer those questions with their own thoughts, we serve to push students much further in their capacity for learning than we would by simply requiring them to memorize facts.

As a middle school science teacher, I like to see myself as someone who can demonstrate to students that science is more than just a bunch of experiments but a way of finding answers to everyday life. That no matter what the problem is, there is always a fundamental way to solving our problems no matter how small they may seem. I want to show my students that science is a very present element in life.

1 Like

So to be honest this computer science piece is exciting and scary and fascinating, all at the same time. I want to be the facilitator and not the leader, not the boss, not the giver of all the answers. I want my students to learn how to think…what a challenge. I can’t wait to get my hands on this information.

Integrating computer science will greatly enhance the science experience that my students currently enjoy.

My identity as a science teacher will be completely changing after this course. Because I teach both math and science, I saw my role as a math teacher quite clearly. I love science and I love teaching science, BUT the NGSS has me excited to incorporate computational thinking into my classroom :sweat_smile:

I am excited to see where the new standards coupled with this course will take my classroom. As a facilitator of learning I will provide a place where students curiosity is nourished and can flourish.

I like what it said in one of the first videos: The goal of science is to encourage students not to answer our questions, but to ask new questions. When they ask new questions they will make new discoveries.

As a secondary science teacher, I would like to teach my students how to think scientifically, solving problems, creating new strategies, analyzing, and discovering new things in class. Integrating computer in my science and math class will be my goal for the next school year.

I agree , and I also consider that thinking that way the learning process would be more exciting and more dynamic for both, students and teachers.

As a secondary Science teacher I hope to help students not only learn the content for state standards but more importantly teach my students how to problem solve. I hope they will be able to think and approach problems like a scientist. while and after my students take my class i hope that they have to tools they need to approach a problem and know how to solve it.
I have found it difficult to focus on these skills when i worry about all the politics of teaching. when I feel that I need to stress about teaching every little piece of content in a certain time frame, where i may or may not have enough time to practice the skills of science. or when i don’t have the time or funds or trust to try new labs.
Im hoping that by incorporating computer science in my science classroom we can have more time to incorporate these problem solving skills in class. I’d like to give my students more opportunities to act like scientist so they can use those skills in their everyday lives.

I’m hoping this will be the result by incorporating computer science into the science classroom. I’m really looking forward to see how the students respond to this type of learning.

I would like my students to think independently, eagerly pursue new challenges and not shy away from the unknown, instead have the interest to search out answers. I want a hands on classroom that spends less time lecturing and more time doing. I would hope that this approach would leave the students confident and ready to approach the numerous assessments they take without the stress they endure, but the confidence they will succeed.

As a special education teacher teaching science, I would like my students to ask questions, and analyze data. My students often struggle to understand how things relate to each other. I believe that by teaching them computational thinking, I can help them develop a better understanding of the world.

I agree. I also think it will give them chances to work together in groups. Thus giving them more confidence in science and in social skills.

It is my hope as a science teacher to teach the core concepts as well as sparking an interest in science. I hope that though classroom experiences that my students will always look at their world and everyday phenomenon that they encounter through the lens of science. I feel like using computer models and computational thinking will give students even more ownership of their education. It will engage them deeper and make the experiences their own. I am not sure how teaching this way will align with current testing practices, but I am willing to take a chance on test scores for the chance of doing something that I see being a benefit to my students futures.

As a middle school science teacher, I want students to enjoy science, connect science to their every day lives, and feel confident that they can “do” science. Computer science is a natural extension of science class, using logical thought processes and allowing students to create something. The computer skills that they learn will not only help them learn a science concept, but could help them be very successful in the modern world.

I aspire to not just teach content, but to teach the students how to think and how to solve problems by themselves, which is exactly what integrating computer modeling and simulations will help me do in the classroom. The students will start thinking like real scientists, will start to ask their own new questions and be able to use computer models to answer their questions, and they will be able to work on solving these questions/problems without asking the teacher for the answer.

I would like to give students more opportunities to act as scientists. I would like to see them engaged and in control of their own learning. Modeling and simulation is a tool I can use to accomplish this.

I agree with you completely.

I aspire to prepare my students for college and STEM careers. This requires that students develop the 21st century skills of critical thinking, collaboration, communication, and creativity. I see computational science as a discipline that very much requires the 4 Cs (i.e., those skills that employers are looking for most). I think every student deserves more opportunities to do computer science.