Computer Science in Science PD: Computational Thinking And The Framework For K-12 Science Education - Discussion

As a Science teacher, I hope to continually inspire my students to question the world around them and seek ways to answer those questions. I hope to be able to encourage inquiry, curiosity and experimentation in the phenomena that makes up the natural world. I am excited to bring computer modeling to them as a tool to help their process of inquiry.

I agree. It is so much more important that students begin to adopt scientific behaviors so they can problem solve as scientists!

I am redesigning my science instruction to be driven as project-based learning. CS will be an important tool overall and a specific goal for some unit investigations.

As a science teacher I hope to inspire my students to always reamain curious about the world around them. There is always more to learn and more to understand. I lead by example, therefore I continue to take courses that I hope will better me as a teacher and allow me to continue to learn and grow.

I too am planning on changing my classroom and teaching for the upcoming year. It is a daunting prospect.

As a middle school science teacher, I see myself as a positive influence towards technology. With my IT background, my students learn early on that I know technology and I know how it works and how to utilize it to their benefit. Integrating Computer Science in Science will allow me to show my students that computers can be used for more than videos and sending messages!

I aspire to teach my students how to think for themselves and attempt to solve problems on their own. Through modeling and simulation, the students will be able to do just that.

It seems they are so into social media: Snapchat, vines, memes, YouTube videos, etc. When it comes to projects, maybe one of their choices (poster, song, diary entry, etc.) could be to use social media to demonstrate their understanding of a topic. Following a rubric, of course. :smile:

I want to inspire the love of learning. I want to expose them to a variety of topics, skills and ways of understanding so they can find what works best for them. If I expose them to a variety of topics then maybe they will learn something new and then pursue a topic of interest that they may have not known otherwise.

As a science teacher, I aspire to teach children how to learn about their world. I aspire to have them question their assumptions about the world. I want the children to create experiments that help them test out their ideas on the world and to analyze the data. The Computer Science in Science curriculum would take my aspirations to the next level, allowing the kids to really take the concepts and test them out in many different ways. The CS in Science relates through my identity as I really believe in the power of computing to take experimentation and discovery for students to a place that was only a dream for me many years back, when I learned about 3-D modeling in High School.

As a science teacher, I want my students to be excited about learning science and math. By using computer science in the classroom, I believe student interest will increase. Students will have a way to explore real world problems. They can create simulations, provide clear explanations and pose new questions. Students may realize they can work toward solutions.

It is also my hope that student interest will increase and they find something meaningful to them. Many times if they can not make a connection to the topic they have no interest. Computer science will be new for them and it is my hope some may want to pursue it as a career.

As a science teacher, I expect to learn and grow professionally in computer science. I would like to increase my knowledge in computer science so that I can more effectively teach my students. I would like to be able to engage my students and guide them in understanding scientific concepts and implying that knowledge in a more meaningful way.

http://www.slnova.org/tjames818/projects/306328/

I aspirate to teach how to fish, not to give fish. Incorporating CS in my classrooms will better equip my students to think for themselves, and creat models to answer complex questions.

I aspire to incorporate computational thinking into my classroom as a science teacher. This will enable my students to own their learning and the models will always be a good tool for discussion and communication of their learning. I agree with the fact that the practice will allow students to make connections between various concepts.

As a science teacher, I aspire to create wonder in my students. I want them to also be questioning what is around them and to want to figure it out. I want them to always want to be learning something and to investigate the world around them. I don’t want them to shy away from a challenge but to go at it head on and to know that it is alright to make mistakes but to keep trying.

As a science teacher I strive to inspire my students to become lifelong learners. I want them to be inquisitive and be problem solvers. I think that students having the opportunity to utilize computer modeling will allow them to take more ownership of their product and gain a deeper understanding than they would get with previous classroom practices.

I want my students to love science and learning like a kindergartener again, when they want to go to school every day and learning is fun. If they all end up being tree huggers, we will all live in a better place.

As a Science teacher, I want my students to to understand science concepts
taught in class, and to ask questions about them, and not just receive information.