Computer Science in Science PD: Computational Thinking And The Framework For K-12 Science Education - Discussion

I aspire to be a life long learner in the fields of science and technology. To continue to further my understanding on new techniques and strategies around solving real world issues. My colleagues refer to me as the one teacher in the building who is always attending professional development around science and my district knows me to be a Science teacher leader. I spread the wealth of knowledge that I learn from everywhere that I go. Learning how to integrate computer science in science through modeling and simulation will only strengthen my identity as a science teacher who incorporates technology into further advancing student achievement.

I want my students to see that the world around them is a product of not only the behaviors of previous generations but the current behaviors of the present generation. My students often think that their world begins and ends with the neighborhoods that they live in and that their choices do not affect the world outside those few blocks. Introducing content that encourages students to take their own knowledge and apply it to worldly concerns also encourages students to think outside themselves.

I want my students to be explorers whether in science or literature or sports – I want them to ask questions, seek knowledge/wisdom and figure out how to get from here to there. I see this program as another valuable tool for them to have. I also recognize that being able to use computers to explore is a very important skill that will help them in their future. I have no idea how to do anything on a computer short of word processing and streaming videos so I am hoping to model what I want from them by going out and learning this stuff myself.

I can relate – because I am the “Science Teacher” I am also known as the person who is on the cutting edge of technology. How little they know that I really know nothing about it. That (and of course, love of learning) is why I am always going to PDs.

I like that – “science is a verb”.

As a science teacher I want to guide my students to think and act like scientist. I feel like integrating computer science into my classroom will allow my students to demonstrate their knowledge and skills in an authentic way.

I would like my class to simulate what scientists do in a setting. How scientists collaborate and discuss their findings. I would like to see good discussions in the class.

As a teacher, I always aspire to move my students to independence. I want them to leave my class and be able to ask questions and search for the solutions to those questions from a variety of resources. I believe that CS will help my student to think critically.

I want my students to see the world around them in a new light and to be curious. CS will greatly enhance these goals.

by teaching and using computational thinking with my students, I will move them beyond mere memorization of facts (which they aren’t very good at anyway) to thinking like a scientist (which is where I want to get them anyway)

As a STEM teacher, I aspire to empower my students to be critical thinkers, life long learners, engaged citizens, and to have rich professional and economic opportunities. Computer Science in Science, using modeling and simulation, gives students process, ideas, experiences and outlooks towards all of these goals. It promotes confidence and excitement to address issues of interest to our students, and I would love to include a culminating project where students choose a topic to go through the computational thinking and modeling process over. I also plan to offer connections between students and college/grad students as well as working professionals using this methodology and toolset. These connections can be made in a variety of ways - examples, youtube clips, video conferencing, visits from professionals, and perhaps a field trip. Powerful stuff!

As I state in my ideal science classroom, my goal is for students to become empowered to ask questions and develop strategies to answer their questions. As a teacher, it is my goal to foster curiosity and provide enough scaffolding that students continue to find creative solutions and questions. Computer modeling provides a platform for which students can ask questions and create/design outcomes and potentially solutions to problems.

Computer science just means problem solving with a computer. TO me that is the key concept that i would like my students to know before they leave the class. Modeling and computational thinking are key tools they use to solve problems that are beyond the classroom itself.

yes I agree with you that curiosity is a great thing that should be instilled into all of our students

I aspire to create a culture of curiousity, persistance, and reflection (look at data for patterns, for more questions, to refine and retry). I want my students to look for their own solutions rather than for me to give them the solution. Integrating Computer Science will help students to visualize models, look for patterns, make hypotheses, and solve complex problems.

As I learn from the videos and docs I am amazed at we can do in the science classroom with computer models and I am anxious to try it out!