Computer Science in Science PD: Computational Thinking And The Framework For K-12 Science Education - Discussion

That real world application is what I think makes a big difference with how kids learn today.

I aspire to instill curiosity and creative confidence in my students. Modeling and simulations will assist my students in recording and predicting results.

I hope to instill curiosity in my students so that they will pursue a career in science and a love for it.

I would like to instill in my students a want to learn about the world around them and realize that science is to help explain how that world works. I would like them to realize that science is not only learning about what previous people have discovered, but that there is much more to figure out. The middle school years is a time to help them lay a foundation on ways that the students could be able to make their own discoveries. Modeling and simulations are a great way for them to test their own ideas and learn.

As science teacher, I aspire to have my students question the world around them and take a deeper look at what they see. Computer models would help students see scenarios and create questions that in-lab experiments would not be able to provide.

Computer modeling and simulation builds the necessary skill to think and act like a scientist and that is what I aspire for my science students.

I aspire to make my students curious. I want them to want to research and experiment. I want them to leave my classroom at the end of the year knowing that they can ā€œdoā€ science, and not just know science. As for myself, learning how to effectively integrate technology in my teaching process can only improve my lessons and will help students learn how to manipulate the technological world and help them see that there is more to technology than social networking.

I agree, however, I would also hope that students can learn how to apply this to learning outside the classroom as well. Students need to know how to learn in their everyday life, not just at school.

I know that I always want to be better at what I do. I love feeling like something that I did was successful, but then I always ask myself, what can I do to make it even better? I think being a teacher who never changes their strategies or never reflects on their teaching in order to change and grow is my biggest fear. To me, that is failure. I feel like learning how to teach computer science to my students helps me with enriching lessons that I already know are good in order to make them better. I also aspire to be up to date and in the now with my teaching

It is my goal as a science teacher to inspire students to solve real-life, relevant problems by working together to think out the situation with enthusiasm and passion. Modeling real-world problems using computers gives me a powerful tool to accomplish my goals for students because complex situations can be easily simulated, worked on in groups, and exciting to be involved in.

I aspire to share with my students my curiosity about how the world works, my love for learning and collaboration. I would like to help my students learn to think critically so they can analyze and make sense of their experiences as they grow up. I like the idea of using computational science in my classroom because I believe we should be teaching more project-based learning at my school and I hope this path will lead our school in that direction.

I donā€™t teach science as a subject - I teach engineering and computer skills. I use science and scientific knowledge within my curriculum. Utilizing modeling and simulation allows students to show their knowledge. It ties directly into the project based instruction I currently utilize. As studentsā€™ proficiency in utilizing modeling and simulation grows, their ability to show their knowledge and delve deeper into the concepts should grow. As I am interested in helping students learn how to learn, this will help me in my teaching goals.

Can you see a link between modeling / simulating and chorus? Could this type of activity help your students in any way?

I agree that learning should be exciting - and fun too. Most of our middle school students spend their free time playing video games alone in a room. Somehow we have to compete for their attention in our electronic world. More time on computers during school, except this time collaborating with others, will be exciting for them.

As a high school science teacher, it is important for me to stress the need for students to pursue careers in computer science in this 21st century global society. Without the necessary skills and pertinent knowledge in computer science, students will not be able to compete with applicants from other countries that possess the skill set to obtain higher paying jobs and understand concepts in the field.

As a middle school science teacher I want to be the kind of teacher that sparks a love and curiosity for science. I want them to see that science is all around them and give them the connections to real world problems in science. I think using computational thinking will give the real world applications that will help them feel like real scientists.

1 Like

that would be great for them to see beyond social networking and see that computers have other interesting uses.

Iā€™d like my students to be excited in the classroom, to enjoy science and learn that its skills can be transferred to all other classes and life too.

1 Like

I love to learn. I want my students to develop the love of learning. I want them to find what they are passionate about (maybe it wonā€™t be science) and then continue to learn throughtout their lives. This is something that I want to model for my students. We keep changing and developing. I want them to see our classroom change and developā€“each year we try new and different things.

1 Like

I try to instill: the desire to learn, that science is fun, and that anyone can change the world for the better if the just ask the right questions and be willing to find the answers to them. I see modeling and simulation as an extension of my primary goal, in that they allow learners to be more engaged in the learning process, and make their questions about science come to life.