Computer Science in Science PD: Computational Thinking And The Framework For K-12 Science Education - Discussion

In my classroom, I believe science is a verb. I want students asking questions, developing ways to answer those questions, and then following-through or experimenting and then analyzing what they’ve done. We build background so that this process can be achieved in a way that has students asking thoughtful questions. What I love about CS is that now my students can ask questions and create computational models to answer those questions that they couldn’t test before because it was impossible for some reason (cost, time, safety.)

And won’t integrating CS make for a perfect way to be the teacher you want to be? Very exciting time.

I aspire to provide my students the opportunity to develop their scientific literacy. I want them to think critically about issues, especially as they relate to science topics. When they grow older and are making decisions about their health, deciding whether to vote on some environmental impact issue, choosing one product over another, etc. I would like them to be able to have the confidence to ask the right questions in order to make the right choices for themselves. Computer Science in Science through modeling and simulation would help accomplish my this goal as a teacher because it specifically addresses “real world” issues, issues that are relevant to them,their family and community.

I always want to be the guide on the side and not the sage on the stage. Through using computer science in science I am able to put the students in charge of their own learning and be able to construct meaning through scientific experimentation.

I Believe aside from teaching kids or getting kids to think, my main goal as a science teacher is to prepare them for a career. Since most new jobs are stem related it makes sense to educate and encourage students in that direction. We need to push ourselves to become as educated as possible in computer science even though it may not effect our futures as much it will definitely effect theirs. They are relying on us to prepare them for a future vastly different than the one we faced decades ago.

I want my students to see me as a guide, not the person who just has all the answers. My goal in this is that students are able to work together to solve real world problems and apply their knowledge to their life.

I aspire to be a teacher who brings out the best in every one of his students. My subject matter knowledge will be at a very high level so that I can describe concepts in such a fashion that the students will understand. I want to create lessons that will inspire my students to want to learn and want to succeed. Modeling and simulation through computer science will hopefully help me reach my goals because I think the students will really enjoy it and learn from it.

I agree that building confidence is huge. Confidence at the middle school level will translate to confidence at higher levels of education, hopefully staying strong to the point where some of out students become professional scientists one day.

I hope to inspire students to think about the world around them and be the problem solvers and innovators of the future. Adding computer science in science will dramatically help me achieve this goal with my students.

As a middle school teacher I strive to instill a passion for learning and discovery. Integrating Computational Science in my classroom will help my students develop a passion for understanding and explaining real world problems with the confidence and skills to offer potential solutions to these problems. The modeling and simulations will help them develop a deeper understanding of complex science concepts.

I just want my students and I to have fun as we learn about phenomenon in the real world. Application of scientific principles and computer assisted modeling of what we think will happen in our environment may help my students to have a positive effect on their lives and the lives of others.

Computer science will give students another way to solve problems and find answer to questions they have in the real world.

What do I aspire to? I want to never hear “Why do I need to learn this? What good is it going to do me?” I know that by integrating computer science, students will be more engaged. When students are engaged, they tend to love learning.

I aspire to provide student-centered, hands-on science education. I work to have students see the impact of science on their life and the world. It is important for me to model my expectations for my students; integrating computer science helps me show students that it is necessary to be a life-long learner. While I have taken a course in computer science in undergrad, I am far from an expert in the field and need to take classes and participate in workshops to improve my abilities.

As a middle school Science teacher I aspire to inspire my students to question the world around them, to not take things at face value but to really dig into topics with curiosity. I want my students to feel like they can conquer the world as long as they persevere. Integrating Computer Science in Science through modeling and simulation will allow me to do exactly that. It allows the students to go beyond my questions and motivates them to answer their own questions. It also teaches them to persevere and how to work through problems.

I hope to inspire my students to question things, without taking things at face value. I hope to foster a sense of curiosity in the world around them. Computer science will play a huge role in preparing them for careers in science and math. I feel it’s my responsibility as a teacher to expose them to computer science.

As a science teacher I aspire to provide an environment where my students can develop as critical thinkers.I want to help my students learn to acquire, test, and analyze information in a manner that will prepare them to be productive citizens and ready for the workforce. I think integrating computer science in science provides a multitude of opportunities for me to help my students develop these skills.

As a science teacher I hope to ignite curiosity in my students and give them the tools to pursue those curiosities and problem solve. Using modeling and simulation, they will be able to think and learn deeply and use their analysis to change the world.

As a science teacher, I want to instill in my students a sense of wonder about the world and excitement about learning science. There are a lot of students who dislike science because there is a lot of abstract information to learn and remember, but I think that by using computer science and letting students use models and simulations to learn, students will be more engaged in science and gain a better understanding of the content that they will learn.

I aspire to bring CS to all grade levels in my building, from K-8. I have gotten plenty of ideas on how to do this for my middle school grades, however, it seems a bit more difficult for the primary grades. I figure that for kindergarten and first grade classrooms there will be more modeling and “we” work then the students actually doing the work, however, I would like to know what other teacher have done to get the students more directly involved?