Computer Science in Science PD: Introduction to Complex Adaptive Systems - Discussion

Continue the discussion:

This discussion forum continues on the Project GUTS online professional development network at https://teacherswithGUTS.org/discussions.

Reflect on the Science you teach - identify a topic/phenomenon in your subject area that is a complex adaptive system. Which characteristics of a Complex Adaptive System are met by this phenomenon?

Post your thoughts to the forum below, and come back later to read other entries and comment on another teacher’s response.

This is a companion discussion topic for the original entry at http://studio.code.org/s/sciencePD/stage/3/puzzle/4

In biology the cell wall is a complex adaptive system. Some molecules can easily pass through via osmosis while others need to use a method of active transport to enter or exit a cell.

2 Likes

The biosphere and the ecosystem are an example of a Complex Adaptive System. They are nonlinear and can take many pathways and have many possible outcomes due to for example mutations and environmental variation.

2 Likes

Two particles colliding with each other

Two humans talking with each other

A client and a server exchanging TCP packets
There are so many Complex Adaptive Systems.

Gentrification of a local community? Would this constitute as an example of complex adaptive systems.

2 Likes

Co-evolution of species: hummingbirds evolve with nectar-producing flowers, some moths evolved to look like orchids.

1 Like

Ecosystems are examples of complex adaptive systems. Patterns that emerge at higher levels are from Interactions that occur at smaller levels of an ecosystem. One question that strikes me is: What patterns exist in the distribution and organization of biodiversity?

I agree. Ecosystems and the biosphere are great examples of a complex adaptive system. Thinking in terms of the 8th graders I teach, some key questions to consider would be: Are these patterns uniquely determined by local conditions? How do ecosystems become assembled over
ecological time?

I clearly see these systems in the living world (ecosystems, evolution) and the interaction of the interactions of organisms and there environment, (resource availability, climate change) but I also see them in weather and tectonic activity.

Matter in our universe is a Complex Adaptive System, I think - no leader, behave by a simple set of rules and there are emergent patterns (galaxies.)

1 Like

I agree that ecosystems and the interactions within are perfect examples of CAS.

I hate to say the same thing, but ecosystems is a clear example

2 Likes

The human brain is an example of a Complex Adaptive System

The immune system could be considered a complex adaptive system.

Stock market would be an example: There is no clear leader, there are rules that are followed and patterns emerge.

In physical science we use the layers of the atmosphere to discuss the transfer of energy through convection, conduction and radiation. We apply this to the concurrence of weather and weather patterns.

In chemistry, the formation of atoms, elements and mixtures would serve as an example. There are rules for the combination of atoms and elements. Patterns are followed and there are no clear leaders.

The global economy is a complex system.

Molecular Motion would be a complex adaptive system.

Basic food webs and the relationships between predator/prey and consumer/producer can be viewed as a complex adaptive system. As the populations of species increase and decrease, it can be viewed as adapting overall to maintain the ecosystem.