Computer Science in Science PD: Introduction to Complex Adaptive Systems - Discussion

An example of a complex adaptive system are the greenhouse
gases that affect the earth’s ozone layer and creates global warming which
leads to the melting of glaciers. This in turn leads to the rise in sea levels
as well as changes in climate such as extreme cold or hot.

1 Like

Since this was my first year teaching 6th grade science, I am going to say that weather patterns are an example of a complex adaptive system.I am also seeing how many are using the ecosystem as an example. I believe the point here is to realize that there are many ways to utilize this information via Code.org in the classroom.

1 Like

I agree with you. It is a reaction of many different things to cause the various weather systems and it is happening a lot more now, or at least I believe these tornadoes, floods, large storms, are happening more. This would be a great way to study that, or at least I believe so.

1 Like

I teach systems in sixth grade when we investigate ecosystems, weather and climate, and the solar system. All of these examples have multiple parts, inputs/outputs, and change in ways that are difficult to predict.

1 Like

I teach life science. My first thought was how the body’s systems maintain homeostasis. The endocrine system is a CAS. The system adapts or reacts if hormone levels are altered. It is also made up of many different parts/agents.

I also teach 7th grade life science. Ecosystems are CAS. I agree they have many CAS within them such as food webs, communities, etc.

I think the Earth’s systems are complex adaptive systems. The atmosphere, hydrosphere, biosphere, geosphere and hydrosphere/cryosphere all interrelate and are interdependent to form a complex Earth System.

1 Like

Not just molecules in a liquid but molecules in gasses as well?

Hi mmacko -
I have similar interests for my students. This makes me think of modeling tropospheric and stratospheric ozone levels.
pkeller

I agree. Along with weather patterns involving the jet stream and curgent could also be considered CAS.

I completely agree. There are so many different topics in weather that can be modeled.

In biology, A major complex system is an ecosystem. For example, a tropical rain forests ecosystem include the living factors such as the animals that form the food webs. As well as, the non-living factors such as water, temperature and the energy that flow through those webs. All of these things come together and form a a cohesive ecosystem.

1 Like

Weather and climate are excellent systems.

1 Like

In teaching about the Earth’s Systems - Geosphere, Hydrosphere, Cryosphere, Atmosphere, & Biosphere - it is a negative feedback system - constant balancing between systems…

And the effects on ocean currents … could be another entire ‘system’ topic …

Climate change is a topic that I teach and it is an example of a complex adaptive system. The characteristics that are the most obvious are feedback loop, nonlinear, and adaptive.

My students watch The Day After Tomorrow and complete several lessons that show how changes made in one of the spheres can alter the others. While watching the movie, they also determine science fiction from science.

The Earth’s days, years and seasons relates to the way Earth moves in space.

In life science, the phenomenon of osmosis by diffusion creates a complex adaptive system in which individual molecules are either able or unable to permeate the cell membrane.Emergent patterns of ionic concentration result.

certainly there are many parts, the behaviors which are predictable yet create emergent patterns