Computer Science in Science PD: Introduction to Complex Adaptive Systems - Discussion

In energy transfer, CAS fits well because more active molecules encounter less active molecules and transfer heat to those molecules. This transfer continues to disperse heat in the lower temperature environment.

In 6th grade I teach about ecosystems. We discuss the way food webs and chains work and how species compete for resources.

Schools? Just thinking about your example of human social groups.

I taught cryptology last year and what springs to mind is the Enigma machine ā€“ a very complex adaptive system in a box.

I see these in predator prey relationships, and food webs in my ecology unit

Homeostasis is an example of complex adaptive systems. All the different systems working simultaneously together to regulate the function of the body.

I believe an example of CAS is the earth systems of erosion, deposition and weathering.

While, I am not a science teacher, I am a reading teacher. I do recall reading informational text that explored the ideas of communities and the individual roles. So, I would say function and society is a complex adaptive system.

When I reflect on topics I teach in science and the phenomenon I use to help engage the students around instruction I think about when I use a phenomenon, driven by data, on the interactions of wolves and deer populations in a given area. This is a complex adaptive system that has many working parts. Through interactions between both the wolves and deer we are able to identify emergent patterns. If the population of one increases or decreases the system and the components involved in that system adapt and are affected.

-Andre

Life Sciences and Human Anatomy both have Complex Systems present in their makeup. In Life Sciences, discussion of Predstor-Prey, Food Chains and amount of initial and limited energy in an ecosystem could be diagrammed out and programmed to predict the likelihood of a system remaining stable or becoming destructive.

To program or diagram the interaction of local species would really engage the students. To even predict,plan and monitor actual vs predicted behaviors would be a great lesson.

I would say the cichlid activity in the 7th grade SEPUP text regarding their populations in lake Victoria before and after the introduction of Nile Perch is an example. The increase and decrease of populations due to the availability of food and or presence of predators.

I teach a unit focused on weather and climate and a complex system can be the interaction between humans and their environment.

I see CAS in teaching Plate Tectonics. There is no leader who is coordinating the earth plates movements.

I teach a unit on Climate change. Climate and its effects are a complex system with the interactions between the environment and its habitats.

I teach Technology/Computer Science, and I find students love topics from the news. So Iā€™m thinking of the Zeka virus as a complex adaptive system. It has a large number of agents (mosquitos), simple rules, no leader, and interactions.

In biology an example would be the immune system or possibly any body system.

The brain dealing with stress or trying to recall a fact (among countless others).

The link above hughlights the patterns of the supercluster where the Milky Way Galaxy resides. As a technology teacher I spend time on astrononomy. Complex adaptive systems in the universe are seen in patterns that emerge without a distinct leading source in the formation of galaxies. At the same time, there are unpredictable elements that do not fit a perfect pattern. Yet there is agreement that the multifaceted elements of the universe are somehow connected.

Weather patterns themselves are amazing systems especially when you factor in all of the elements that causes changes in temperature such as solar energy and human pollution - all which combine to produce unpredictable results, yet with emergent patterns.