Computer Science in Science PD: Introduction to Computational Science - Discussion

Computational science would be great for use with genetic diversity and natural selection labs.

Computational Science could be used to study the patterns of organisms within an ecosystem and look at theoretical patterns toward extinction. I am also thinking of migration patterns for organisms. Another great model that could be used is disease spread within small areas as opposed to bigger areas. We could study how disease spreads within the school campus. This stuff is really cool in comparison to how we studied science in the past. We have a lot more resources available to us to understand and study new problems or scenarios.

Computational Science can be used to show and experiment with real- world issues.
Deborah

Iā€™m thinking that computational science could be used to show the interactions between body systems and the effect that nutrition, disease, or exercise could have. I would love to learn how to do this.

Being in South Florida I can really see students using computational science to plan for hurricanes; to show effects of storm surge, plan evacuations and predict wind damage. They can also make their own models to predict the path of storms.

Computational science allows scientists/educators to manipulate and study real-world problems that are not easily reproducible. Students can make predictions as to potential patterns that will result, or create a possible solution to problems their own labs.

Iā€™ve shown my students a NOVA program called Magnetic Storm where computational science and observations/data were used to prove magnetic reversals and predict when the next reversal might occur. Perhaps computational science models are used in atmospheric science to predict hurricane paths?

Computational science allows modeling of processes that cannot typically be modeled in a lab setting due to time/ space constraints. Evolutionary processes is one example that would benefit from a computer science model. Evolution and adaptations take too long for students to actually view happening, but could be fast-forwarded through the use of a computer.

Computational science allows you to investigate real world problems that you would not be able to simulate in a normal lab setting.

I could see this really being effective in discussing impact of an oil spill. Students could discover the impacts on marine life and model the flow and dispersion of the spill.

I could see students observing different types of energy and substituting one type in for another to determine which is most efficient.

1 Like

You would be able to introduce an invasive species into an ecosystem and see the impact on the native species in that environment. This is not something that youā€™d want to do in the real world.

Geez that was a long time ago! Sadly, I donā€™t recall learning much science while in school. However, computational science would provide an amazing opportunity to travel into the center of our Earthbor to the depths of our oceans to explore the topography. It is hard for 6th graders to visualize ocean topography and realize the ocean is not flat like the beach.

This would really be great! Imagine if they had done something like that for Hurricane Katrina. They might have saved a lot of lives and also been more prepared to rescue the stranded. I have lived through a few hurricanes (I am from Jupiter, FL) and the force of a hurricane and the tornados they spawn are somewhat unpredictable; however with computational science, predicting the force and possible damage/water surge, etc. may be improved.

1 Like

Computational Science could be used to show how the introduction of a species, such as the Asian Oyster into the Chesapeake Bay could have long term positive and negative effects.

My science education in K-12 was a mixed bag, depending on who the teacher was. The best teachers, of course, integrated many hands on experiments into the curriculum. Computational science, however, opens up a whole new world to my students. There are many topics that would benefit from its use as an educational tool. Just this week, we covered the spread of HIV in the US in the 1980s. To bring the concept to life, they could create a computer simulation of how fast and how far the virus spread through the population.

I agree. Living in South Florida, this would be a great topic to use computational science to enhance the studentsā€™ understanding of hurricane preparedness.

Computational Science would really get students excited and motivated about exploring a real-world problem. Students generally love the hands-on labs in science classes, but the simulations and computer interaction would take their learning to a much deeper level.

Computational science would be great for most models that we look at in class. I could see earth science students using it for weather prediction or possibly the phases of the moon. In physical science, students could look at particle movement and possibly systems for the law of conservation of mass and energy.

Computational science allows you to work through problems you would not otherwise be able to do because of limiting factors.