Computer Science in Science PD: Using Models in the Classroom - Discussion

I agree with Mateo! Well said!

A successful classroom involves science that the students can investigate where they live as well as using computer models and simulations. The models and simulations can allow students to change the variables and the amount of time in order to solve problems that affect their lives.

The successful science classroom is an environment where students are exploring and attempting to answer their own questions. Scientific inquiry is key as well as the sharing and discussion of ideas, results, and conclusions. In this classroom the teacher facilitates student directed learning. The teacher does not supply answers or information but guides students toward tools and resources to help them as they discover answers and build knowledge on their own. Students learn to communicate their ideas, new knowledge, and experimental findings. The are respectful of their peers’ ideas and find value in discussing and sharing what they learn. Scaffolding computer models through the use, modify, create strategy is a perfect tie-in to this type of classroom. Implementing the use of computer models just adds another medium for scientific inquiry to take place.

Kimberly,
I love your classroom description. When students work in groups it can be difficult to ensure that every member is participating and engaged. If students are manipulating a group model and each team member is performing their own trial and recording their results the level of engagement would definitely increase.

My idea of a successful Science classroom would have all the students engaged while they are having to come up with their own thoughts and ideas. The teacher would only be there to guide the instruction, asking higher level questions to get the students thinking on their own. My perfect classroom would have a classroom set of computers, so that each student could complete the model on their own. When they were finished, I would have them share their models with each other, and eventually have them present to the whole class.

I think you hit it spot on with the scientific method. I have tried so many different things so they can better understand and actually use it. With this type of modeling, they would use it even it they didn’t know or understand what the scientific method is. It would give them such a great opportunity to be real scientists, instead of the teacher trying to get them to understand why scientists use the scientific method.

The ideal successful Science classroom: A classroom where the students learn everyday by trial and error through both a “hands on” as well as the computational experiment model. A classroom that has enough resources where the same scientific experiment doesn’t have to be repeated unless we wanted to. also, after watching the agent-based model from the GIS community disaster awareness gentlemen from Redfish Co.-- I definitely would have at least a mac mini, a projector, a laser pointer, and a camera set up with Google Maps and a sand box… so cool!

A successful Science classroom that integrates modeling and simulation is a classroom where students are actively engaged in problem-based learning. Students are interacting with their teacher and with each other, collaborating with one another to solve solutions to a given problem. Students identify a real world problem, brainstorm with each other, come up with a solution, design a prototype or a model, test, observe, gather data, interpret data generated from their model and share the results to other students. In this class, students used design process to create their mental models using computer to transform mathematical, scientific and engineering data into models that can function like a real object that they want to study. The computer gave the students opportunities to manipulate variables using their model to come up with accurate data. In this classroom the teacher is just a facilitator of learning while the students work like real scientists/engineers.

By integrating modeling and simulation, the classroom will appears busy because everyone has a part to play with designing , testing the modeling., asking questions, and retesting. However, there will be organization because of the students’ roles in their group. Also, it will be a learner-centered classroom and the teacher is more of a facilitator. In addition, there will be whole group participation to share their groups’ model or simulation and answer questions. As a facilitator, the teacher will move from group to group asking the question(s) about their models. The students work in cooperative grouping, and they are applying their active listening skills when a peer is discussing, and they take turns in the discussion. They will show respect for the other students’ suggestions or ideas. The role of the computer will be tool to model their ideas.

My definition of a successful science classroom would be all of the students engaged in inquiry based activities or lessons. Students are designing, and creating computational models to test or run various simulations to gather data. Teacher’s role is to facilitate as students are figuring out, interacting and communicating their data and results.

I agree, I often have the chaos, and I find my students know what they are doing, but struggle to explain the why, they have some ideas, but lack the ability to explain…

A successful Science classroom includes students who are engaged in learning, having scientific discussion, and are able to progress at their own pace.

A successful classroom integrates modeling and simulation. A successful classroom is setup with as a learning center where students will have the opportunity for direct instruction by teacher, video, or inquiry of the medium being used. The students are engaged and encouraged to help each other and work together as a team of learners discovering the answer. Not all students like to work as a team and should be allowed to work as an individual, but if they are demonstrating mastery they should be encouraged to offer help to others as some point of the activity. The room may seem disorganized, but it is the task of the observer to determine the learning going on at the time. The room needs to have access to the technology offered. I have used computers, devises and Chrome books on a limited base for my students. The Internet has multiple resources for teaching, reviewing and assessing. I have found that an important skill to teach to students is to how to evaluate the website they are utilizing for information. IS it credible? As my understanding improves, I defiantly see how coding and modeling helps enhance the engaged classroom.

The teacher must train students on coding and other mechanics of the computer modeling system as well as provide basic knowledge about the theory so students have some idea of what the parameters are. Students share their mental models with one another in small groups and interact to create a model that they modify after the simulation runs. As always, the teacher is there to offer guidance, though encouraging students to run even an incompletely developed model can help them figure out what changes are needed to improve their simulation. Sharing between groups adds another level of interaction that helps students explain their own constructions and visualize outcomes/connections between the agents. I anticipate high interest levels and strong retention from the emotion (positive stress) of the experience.

A science classroom that has modeling shows students evidence of what the concepts are that are being taught. A science classroom with simulation takes the modeling idea a step farther. It involves the students in the planning and creating of solutions to the problems of science concepts. In a classroom that integrates modeling and simulation, the teacher introduces concepts, while the students work collaboratey to define, solve and create solutions to problems. The teacher facilitates the group offering assistance when needed, while the students use the computer to research and construct their solutions to solve problems.

Great summary. I agree with your ideas.

Students really need that real world connection to make sense of tangible, and especially intangible things happening around them

A successful science classroom is one in which students are applying themselves to learning; discussion, teamwork, peer tutoring, independent projects, group projects and think/pair/share are all common occurrences. Often students will work as a group of 3 or 4, or as individuals after information review, game, or grand conversation. I try to always provide time for students to apply and practice the science concepts that we are learning.

I agree! Showing how many small components create a large phenomenon would be invaluable.

The perfect science classroom is always organized chaos. I usually start each day with a challenge. When all students are engaged, there are many things going on…students work at their own pace to complete the challenge. I look forward to when I will be able to incorporate the coding and modeling into my science curriculum. I am concerned about the amount of technology needed to implement this into my science curriculum.