Computer Science in Science PD: Using Models in the Classroom - Discussion

Organized chaos makes learning fun. I would enjoy being a student in your class.

A successful Science classroom that integrates modeling and simulation has students working in groups of no larger that 4 students. Each student would have a role, such as, project manager, materials manager, programmer, and project recorder.The students would work together to develop a hypothesis that clearly states the agents and environment to be evaluated. The students would use computers or Ipads to document and test their hypothesis. The classroom teacher would serve as a facilitator for the students to delve into how the parameters for the simulation will be constructed and other ideas that the students should consider in constructing a model.

My classroom has always been described as organized chaos. Students are engaged and are all working in their own version of higher order thinking. The idea of using models via computers in the classroom excites me even more than my current experience with experiments because they give the students the opportunity to become true scientist who ask their own questions. I see the teacher as a reference to the students but the students are running their own experiments based on their interests around a certain lesson. This allows the students to each challenge themselves and engage at a higher level than when the students are required to run an experiment designed specifically by the teacher.

I think a successful science classroom would have all of the students actively engaged in inquiry based experiences where the teacher would function as a facilitator. The classroom atmosphere would be supportive and respectful. Students would feel safe to make mistakes and learn from them.

I think the most successful science classroom as being one where everyone is engaged. I think computers and computer modeling can really be helpful in allowing students to work at their level, and everyone is challenged. I see differentiation being easier, and collaboration among students more frequent. Students love technology, and as they discover new things they will want to share with their fellow students. I think it could really help to put students in the driver’s seat and teachers more as facilitators.

My vision of a perfect science classroom would be one where all students are engaged in discourse and scientific exploration to solve scientific problems of personal relevance. Students would be using the tools and resources as well as authentic scientific discourse to analyze and build their understanding.

The ideal science classroom is a place where students can explore and examine different ideals and concepts. I would not say that it is all hands on, all CS, or all text book but a balanced mixture of these elements. Ideally students would have all of the time in the world to set things up manually, and create models, that’s where CS becomes almost a necessity. That being said, students also have to be allowed to make mistakes and analyze what went wrong. CS doesn’t allow for much error so that is when hands on experiments come in to balance out the students learning experience.

A successful science classroom is one where student inquiry can lead the direction of the class. If students are interested they can be guided by the teacher so that they can do more research, design an experiment/model, and ask more questions.

I imagine that a successful science classroom is one in which students are excited to learn about science. I see the teacher as a facilitator and the students as the ones who are asking questions and working together to solve problems. Computers should play a big part in the science classroom as the students can not only use computers for models and simulations, but as a research tool. Being proficient in computer software and programming will be important for all students.

a successful science classroom might look like a space for exploring and discussing our natural world. students would be able to choose their topics and imagine how to understand the world around them. they can experiment with hands-on materials whenever they are available and safe and extend their research with technology for communicating with experts and other learners around the world (or universe when we locate other intelligence lifeforms beyond earth) and running simulations. technology is also used to record and document, communicate, and archive all experimental results and conversations about science.

To me, a successful science classroom is where all students are engaged and working at their own level, students are working together and helping each other learn by sharing their ideas, and the teacher is guiding the learning. Computers assist with the learning through modeling; students are so much more engaged when technology is involved and students can make things their own! They love to show off what they know and what they have created.

My definition of a successful science classroom starts with my definition of any successful classroom–one in which the students are engaged and actively learning. Students are interested and intrigued by the topics being taught. The teacher is simply guiding the students to meet their expected learning outcomes, but the students are putting in the work necessary to meet those outcomes. In science, I would love to see students choosing and leading the experiments. I would love to see them look at real-world issues and desire to make that change by using the knowledge they already possess and by seeking to gain new knowledge that will leads them to a solution.

I like that you touched on differentiation. I think that, in incorporation this new curriculum, teachers need to remember that not all students will learn the same or at the same pace.

A successful science classroom is one that supports student inquiry, collaboration, and encourages deeper thinking through questioning and argumentation. Science class is hands-on learning at its best.

This definitely sounds like a successful science classroom!
For me, a successful Science classroom is one that has students engaged in their own learning and are using inquiry based questioning facilitated by the teacher. Students are interacting with one another and designing and creating (aka hands on) their own models and experiments. that integrates modeling and simulation. Computers are used for coding and creating computational models as opposed to just researching. Students are running their models and using iterative testing and modifying to problem solve.

I agree. We are always striving to meet the needs of our students to expand their knowledge in ways that make meaning for them.

I see a science classroom where traditional experimentation and computer modeling are used together. Traditional experimentation fills both a tactile and a very real level of understanding. However modeling allows students to take an experiment they may have just done and make repeated modifications to it then possibly rerun the actual experiment to check if their model is performing as expected
In this classroom teacher led instruction is blended seamlessly with student driven inquiry.

A successful science classroom would have all students participating in a scientific inquiry based experiment. Students would be making predictions, interacting with their lab partners in a collaborative way, and having good conversations about what the scientific process is occurring in their experiment. All of our technology would be working correctly so that students could extend their thinking about the science, not problem solving why their temperature probe is not graphing. Ideally, computers would further extend student thinking around science and not be used only as a tool to gather information.

In my opinion a successful science classroom is one where students are engaged, working in groups and active in their own learning. I like to have the students ‘run the show’ so to speak, where they know where they make a plan, get materials, build and then test, discuss and retest.

The same would be true for them to create their own computer models. We create conceptual models and then physical models but not with the computers. I am excited to start using computers to create the physical model as well.

Teachers then roam around the room engaging with the groups of students about their projects then a group discussion happens where groups demonstrate their models with the class as well.

Organized Chaos is what the group work usually looks like.

Completely agree with you!