Could not interpret the Steps for this Activity

Can you send a copy to me or try changing the share settings? Thanks!
stephanie.pendley@douglas.k12.ga.us

May I have a copy sent to me also please! lkeil@sansimon.org When I download it is says there are errors. Thank you

Dear asalas,

Please send me a copy of your revised directions. I am having a hard time figuring out these directions.

Thank you so much.

bpenney@tolland.k12.ct.us

Beth

I am also having problems viewing your document. Can you please email me a copy: hartzelld@bsd405.org

Thanks!

Asalas,
I totally agree with you about the confusing directions. I am new to computer science myself, but I know that when I am struggling the kids will be totally lost.
I love the resources here on code.org, but I have to minimize directions on all of the worksheets to simplify for my middle school kids. They glaze over if there are too many words and if something is too complicated.
I think I will concentrate on having them try the programs on paper and forget the labels and values, because my head is going to explode.
Thanks for your document with easier-to-read directions :slight_smile:

1 Like

I would love a copy of your revised directions as well looks like the ones you attached are just a copy of the regular directions? ben.kuehl@lakemills.k12.wi.us

This activity is beyond confusing to me and honestly I am finding it hard to see the point. I see the key bullet points in one section I feel like I may just go over those discuss and move on.

Hi Ben,

The concept is actually really easy and important, it’s just the directions that are hard! It’s worked great every year I’ve done it, I’ve just used my modified directions, done one example with the kids, and placed them in pairs. I’ve also given them only one set of manipulatives per pair but made them optional. The activity works just as well if they do it all pencil/paper, and instead of replacing the value cards they just crossed the old values off.

If you look closely at my revised directions, they truly are revised, but I kept all the formatting the same. Hope this helps!

Andrea

Hi after reading through it probably 4 or more times. The activity finally clicked in my head. Your revised directions definitely helped. I went through first 2 programs had them do next 2. Then I used the PPT that someone attached and printed the other programs for them to write just on paper.

Finally I assessed them individually by having them do programs 8 and 9 on paper on their own.

Just in case anyone else has problems or anxiety with this lesson, I wanted to throw it out there that we used a modification of dschneider’s laminated pages and just used page protectors and dry erase markers. We also didn’t use post-it notes, but just wrote the values in the values column and marked through or erased them as they changed. It worked pretty well that way.
Thanks for all the ideas, and I hope this helps someone else!

Blair

2 Likes

Blair,

Thank you for sharing your ideas. Please keep sharing.
Karen