Discuss Your Favorite Module Experience from Phase 2 (In-Person)

I remember feeling a bit overwhelmed with the process. Instructors allowed us to experience what our students may encounter as they go through the coding programs: confusion, frustration, disappointment, and elation when you go the right code. I worked on modules 1 and 3.

I share the feeling of being overwhelmed with Glee. However the total experience was an excellent one.While participating in the Earth Science module, I could fully appreciate the vision for the integration of computer science in all other content areas. For years i have struggled with the identification and application of appropriate differentiation strategies . I am looking forward to develop and apply the strategies through the integration of computer science throughout the science curriculum wherever it is appropriate.

I recall wanting to move faster through the first day, but then when we got to the 2nd day, I was starting to become confused and was having difficulty keeping my ā€˜turtleā€™ and ā€˜worldā€™ separated in my mind. I found that I was really having to logically think through the processes (meta-cognition) and not get frustrated if I had to rework the code. I think that process alone is beneficial to the students. I think it is also important for the students to know that we werenā€™t necessarily successful after our 1st several attempts ant that it took quite a few times to see the results we were wanting. I teach 6th graders and have a huge differentiation with coding abilities. Most of my gifted kids can do basic coding (and have even worked with block coding) whereas my other students have not even heard of coding before.

I like the 3 days PD but I was overwhelmed and got frustrated so many times. I felt like I fell behind and really struggled with activities. I like and felt most comfortable with Module 1. The other ones I am still confused with and feel very nervous teaching. I will go very slow because I want to make sure my students donā€™t get too much frustrated and I have to approach it in a very exciting, cool way.

I am excited to jum into the next in person meetings.Since I am not teaching these modules and CS curriculum in middle school this year, I am very interested in hearing from the cohortā€™s experience

The entire PD went very well. It was a bit overwhelming, but that was due to my not having any experience in this field. All of the presenters were great and knew exactly what they were doing and as a bonus, it was clear that they loved doing this. Their enthusiasm, of course, transferred to us. I participated in the Chemical Reaction Module. Our county will have an actual Chemistry module in place next year when we completely infuse NGSS so the Code Chemical Reaction module fits like a glove. Looking forward to playing around with it when the ā€œchaosā€ of the start of the school year settles.

First, technology and I donā€™t always have an amicable relationship. However, the PD was very user friendly and it made me feel like I could successfully teach this in my class. In my physical science the chemical reaction model has the best fit and I can see it fitting perfectly with my curriculum. I am sure the kids will take off and fly with it!

The in person experience was very beneficial. I think much of it simulated exactly what our students will feel. It has been quite a while since that experience took place and I am finding that I am in need of this refresher.I would have liked more time to just play during the in person experience. I liked the idea of working in the groups, but felt that some independent practice with the basics would have been helpful as well. I admit that I was enrolled very late in the course and did not have a clear understanding that some work was to have been completed before we arrived at the session. Perhaps this independent work having been done would have prepared me better for the first day. I felt very comfortable with the first module, but I had taught some of this many years ago and was able to rely on that past experience to help me.

Because I had staff development at my district after the summer workshop, I was able to come up with a timeline to implement module 1 (introduction and exploration) and module 3 (building models and collecting data). Since NGSS has a big emphasis on ecology during 7th grade, me and a fellow teacher will be using these modules as jumping off point.

I remember a feeling of fleeting understanding. When I say fleeting understanding, I can remember understanding the content in the room, but feeling like I would not be able to complete code without an instructors assistance. That feeling began to disappear when we were able to work independently in the module 4 phase. I was able to write code and modify it with some success.

I agree ā€“ the PD provided some great insight into the computer science curriculum. I also, will be teaching three different levels and will focus my efforts on the introductory module. Once my students are comfortable understanding the process I am sure the other modules will easily support the current science instruction. I am eager to see what models my students create!

I started the first day knowing very little about code.org. The instructors and my colleagues were so helpful. I learned and had so much fun. I kept thinking that my students would really enjoy this as well. I like all the modules; however, the one I can use the most will be chemistry. I do plan to try to do a genetic mutation and a natural selection simulation.

At our training, instead of doing module #2, we completed a module about carbon dioxide and the greenhouse effect. This module is great because I can fit it directly into a unit that I am already teaching and I think that the students will have a lot of fun exploring how carbon dioxide increases the heating of the Earthā€™s atmosphere. Instead of just hearing how the greenhouse effect works, students will be able to model it and observe its effects.

During the in person PD I felt a great sense of accomplishment when I got the code right and everything worked the way I wanted it to. I likIed working with others and bouncing ideas off of one another. It helped having someone to talk to.

It was great meeting other teachers that work in my area. We only had enough time to concentrate on two modules,1 and 3. I am excited to work with them.

I loved the summer workshop. At first, I felt very frustrated when I was working at home alone. However, I enjoyed working alone and with others at the workshop because when ever I was lost, I could find someone to help. I enjoyed working on the ā€œillnessā€ module. When I looked at the modules listed in Code.org, I didnā€™t see it but I know my group worked on it. Iā€™m looking forward to working on the Chemistry one because Iā€™m teaching 8th grade this year.

I enjoyed Module 1 the most as it was informative and most helpful. I appreciated having the help of instructors and time to explore and practice with team members.

I enjoyed working on the ecosysystem model but the computers were crashing during our training so I never was ever to finish it.

I did enjoy the module where we created an ecosystem. I could see the students would really enjoy setting this up and creating their own predators and prey.

I really enjoyed the Module 1 Modeling and simulation. This is where you learned the basics of coding and got me interested in doing more for writing a base code for my classes that Iā€™ll teach. Completing the disease simulation and then turning that into a radioactive decay simulation. Iā€™m interested to learn more about the water resources module as I can use that in all of the subject I teach.