Discuss Your Favorite Module Experience from Phase 2 (In-Person)

I enjoyed attending the training session. I feel most comfortable with module 3 because it corresponds with what I am teaching. I think that my students will feel confident because they are able to understand what the code means and will enjoy manipulating the variables. It brings something new and relevant to the classroom.

I really enjoyed working with the ecosystem simulation. It was engaging, simple to use and totally applicable to the curriculum.

At our training, we didn’t do all the modules at the end - we spilt into content areas so I only did Modules 1 & 3 - although I saw how other groups tackled 2 & 4. It all looks familiar but it’s more fun to work it out with other people in class rather than go it alone (like I am right now for this review.)

After the PD in person I was really excited to create a plan to build coding into my class each week. After talking with the instructors I decided to start the students with one hour of coding each week, working up to 20 hours of coding lesson. Then we will start module 1 and module 3!

As a participant in the summer program, I remember wanting more time to be able to practice coding on my own. I gained the most insight into the program by working with my coding partner and being able to problem solve. Coming back into the classroom, I am looking forward to implementing the program by starting with the Hour of Code with my students and then moving into Module 1.

I worked on modules 1(intro) & 3(life science) in the NYC session. I enjoyed learning star logo nova because it is another way for me to teach computer science to my middle school STEM students. Eventually I will figure out modules 2 & 4 on my own so that I can also introduce them into my classroom to add more science concepts into my C.S. lessons. I also enjoyed meeting and collaborating with other motivated educators who want to make their science classrooms more relevant and interesting for their students.

I worked on modules 1 and 2 in the Chicago session. In October and January, I will attend the PDs for modules 1 and 2. My favorite experience from phase 2 was becoming comfortable and succeeding with the modules. I have no prior experience with computer programming and the PD made me feel successful. I am so excited to teach CS this school year.

I think having time to work on my own, trying out ideas but having someone to ask after I’d given it a try was the most productive and satisfying. The chemical reactions model appealed to me because its dead-on relevant.

I remember that this process takes me a long time to get the hang of. I worked with the ecosystem module the most and got some modifications added with the help of collaborating with other teachers.

I enjoyed the PD this summer but I need more time to work with the program
My students will pick it up faster than me.

I really enjoyed both the first module and the ecosystems module. I have never done any computer programming before, so I had a lot of “ah-hah” moments in the first module, and found it a very rewarding experience. At the same time, the second module really got me thinking about how I would apply this to my class. I got excited about incorporating computer modeling into my ecosystems unit and final project.

My favorite module was the infection and disease module. I remember that I was beginning to get the hang of using SLNova and wanted to try it by myself. I struggled a lot and then decided to ask for help and finally got through it but not by myself. However, it was still a rewarding feeling when I finally got the simulation to play. I do plan to do the same with my students. Just to let them struggle a while and then provide step by step guidance.

My favorite module was the first one, “Introduction to Computer MOdeling and Simulation.” Because my experience with coding is so new and that I had never tried seriously coding before, everything was novel to me, and each part of the module was a revelation. I was especially excited when we made the connection between computer simulation and real life when we went outside of the session room to do the activity, “Turn and Walk.” I loved it! Then, I was also thrilled that I was able to create a variation of the code that created the moving flower petals. I thought that was fun! I knew that these were introductory lessons, and therefore were quite easy and I know that the succeeding coding activities would become more challenging. I was right: The next module, “Water as a Shared Resource,” wasn’t at all too easy. But challenging tasks is also fun and never boring. In general, I like how the activities progressed from simple to complex.

I had a fun time playing with the chemical reactions model. After performing the initial task, my partner and I worked on getting the silver to drop off and precipitate down to the bottom of the “flask,” as it does in real life. We had to troubleshoot a great amount to make it happen, and it was rewarding when we finally pulled it off.

Being new to StarLogo Nova, it was really hard once we tried to make more complex model. I felt like the face to face PD was helpful to work together to create models.

It was hard to get things the way you wanted. Sometimes it could even be a limited resource problem with the computer. It was fun experimenting with water cycle.

Our groups split and only worked on one module. We then presented to the rest of the group so we saw the results of each scenario. Mu partner and I did the predator/prey and I think the students would enjoy and engage in this CAS. I also feel that I can use the water CAS in the class room.

I enjoyed the 1st module, I hope to use it with my STD instruction on the spread of HPV.

The second module (I did the water module) was a bit more complicated. UCI internet kicked us off a couple times and that was not fun.

I definitetly liked learning how to use Star Logo Nova with Module 1 and having time to explore. I also teach my students about virsues and disease transmission so I can really see a strong connection with the content I teach and getting students to understand how to use Star Logo Nova.

I enjoyed the module on predator-prey dynamics. I plan to implement this module in my classroom this year and am excited to see how the students respond to developing their own complex computer model for their chosen system. The possibilities for this module seem to be just about endless and students have the flexibility to create models that are as complex as they would like.