ECS Forum Introductions (16-17 school year)

Hi, my name is Thomas and I teach math at Lincoln Park in Chicago. I coach math team and enjoy math things.

Hello, my name is Ozzie Salazar and I teach an animation program “Adobe Flash” to juniors and seniors at Miami Southridge SHS in Miami Flordia.

I am looking forward to learning how to teach and become a great facilitator of “ECS” curriculum at my school.

My hobbies and pastime include learning about US history, and I also love to travel.

I’m fascinated by the important people, places, and events that have shaped the history of our great country.

Hello, my name is Vanessa. I have taught Chemistry, Biology and Anatomy for the past 8 years at Foreman College and Career Academy in Chicago. When I’m not teaching, I love to travel, garden, swim, bike, and garden.

Hello, I am Theresa Fleming and I have taught Business Education at Colonial Heights Middle School for the past 12 years. I enjoy spending time with my family, reading and participating in activities with my teenage children.

1 Like

Hi Sarah! I am glad St. Gertrude is beginning to build a CS program! I know more private schools in Richmond need this.

1 Like

Hi, I’m Tracy Grosick and am looking forward to our face-to-face PD coming up soon in Chicago. This is my second year teaching Accelerated Mathematics across 6th, 7th, & 8th Grades. Last year, I completed the PD offered by Code.org for Coding Coursework and taught Course 2 of Coding across my three classes. The students loved it and I feel they are now primed for my extensive concepts of digital tools and their applications.

I have a family in West Chester, OH - a daughter and two boys, plus five (yes, five) cats, two dogs, and a moderately sized veggie garden that is my passion this time of year. I’m looking forward getting to know you all and get into the richness of the TLO design to transfer computer science knowledge to students.

Hi Everyone! I’m Kat Hanson, I teach a semester long class in Robotics and a semester long class in Computer Program. This year I will be co-teaching a brand new year long Exploring Computer Science class in 8th grade.

Hello! I’m Lisa Courtney - I’ve been a teacher at North-Grand High School in the West Humboldt Park neighborhood of Chicago since 2007. I’m originally from Ocean Grove, New Jersey. My interests are traveling with my husband, swimming, cooking, practicing yoga and meditation, running, crocheting, sewing, and making music with my friends at the Old Town School of Folk Music. Oh, and I wear a lot of tie-dye!

Before I ran away and joined the teaching circus, I was a tech writer/web designer/system tester with Bell Labs/AT&T Labs in Holmdel and Middletown, NJ. I’m glad to be able to draw upon my previous career to help my students.

I’m looking forward to sharing with this community and reading perspectives and experiences from around the country!

Hi. I’m Chantel Parnell from Oakland Unified. I have taught middle school math for the past 5 years and next school year I will be teaching 5 Math 8 courses with 1 computer science elective.

Can’t wait to collaborate with you next year! Parnell

1 Like

Hi, this is Gail Gomez. I am a teacher of art and drafting (mostly mechanical drawing) at Kelly H.S. During the summers I like to garden a bit because I find it very relaxing. I look forward to participating in this ECS PD. I’m curious as to how I will feel in regards to not knowing all the answers. As a teacher I like knowing the answers so I can guide my students. I wonder how I will do with this method of teaching.

Do you have any suggestions on how to make the class go smoothly? This will be my first year teaching ECS and I’m excited yet nervous at the same time. Gail Gomez also CPS teacher.

Hi I’m Jamie and I will be taking the ECS PD as well. I teach at Corliss High School

Hello! My name is Shoshana and I teach Art and Video Production at George Westinghouse College Prep in Chicago, IL. Next year will be my second year of teaching. I have 2 cats and my hobbies include cooking, biking, and traveling. I’m excited to learn more about ECS!

Hi everyone! My name is Gary Thompson and I am a middle school mathematics teacher in the Marysville School District (Marysville, WA). I teach 8th grade mathematics, Algebra 1, and this coming year Exploring Computer Science. I am interested in CS because of my background in CS working for Microsoft in my previous career. I like to play console and PC games outside of the classroom and also engage in soccer. I am a huge Star Wars fan as well. I also have a junior daughter and a 3rd grade daughter that I try to keep up with daily. :smile:

Hope this is a great year teaching ECS!

Gary

Good Afternoon Colleagues,
My name is Helen West and this will be my first year teaching the Exploring Computer Science curriculum. My background includes 20+ years in the corporate domain. Since that time, I have re-invented myself as an Educator with most of my experience being as an Administrator with Chicago Public Schools and City Colleges of Chicago. I was fortunate to have a brief tenure with CPS working in the Computer Science for All Program. Since that time I have been in pursuit of my doctorates degree.

I enjoy traveling, golf, and social activities with family and friends.

Hi everyone, I’m Lucia Rosario from Miami, Florida. I’ve been teaching for 10 years in middle school, and will now be teaching high school. I enjoy spending time with my family, cooking and reading.

Hi Sonnya, I too would love to be a professional student. The great thing about being a teacher, we get to learn new things all the time.

Hello everyone! I’m Stuart Abram from Chicago and I have one year of teaching experience in ECS and Math at Whitney Young. I have taught ECS classes with students in grades 7-12 which had very interesting classroom dynamics and I am excited to return to the workshop, see old and new friends, and share our experiences in order to continue working to make computer science more accessible to all, especially as CS is now a graduation requirement for all of our students. I am a former pro poker player who enjoys billiards, brewing beer, biking, and all things culinary.

Hello. My name is Renee Gutierrez. I have taught Spanish for 16 in Lansing, MI. This will be my first year teaching ECS. I am happily married and have 4 children. I am looking forward to learning more about this curriculum!