ECS Forum Introductions (16-17 school year)

Hi Amy! Good luck on your first year teaching, you will LOVE it! I will be in touch as you seem very experienced and in love with CS, and I am just getting started!

Hello all! My name is Deborah Mathis, and I’m a Digital Media teacher in Chicago, IL. Looking forward to learning the ECS curriculum!

Hello! My name’s Jared Douglas, and I am beginning my first year of teaching at Tindley Accelerated High School in Indianapolis, IN. I’m a lover of tech, especially where it intersects with the humanities. Computers open up all new ways to communicate, think, and express ourselves while also raising many questions about what it is to be human and how to act as an individual in an increasingly global world.

Is Digital Design similar to Design & Multimedia? I am trying to explore teaching new classes and was curious.

Yes… you are absolutely correct!!

Hello,

My name is Sam. I’m from Oakland.

HI, my name is Paula Novak and I teach at John Hope HS in Chicago. I’m a “newby” at coding, although I took Fortran in high school. I remember enjoying my Fortran class, but didn’t stick with computer science. I’m excited to get started with this program.

8th grade digital communications. My Dept chair wants me to incorporate a lot of video & photography which I do not have any background in at all.

Hello everything is great enjoyed reading post

My name is Nekya Ball and I am a Business and Technology teacher. This is my 4th year teaching grades 6-12. I enjoy eating out and watching good shows in my free time. Hobbies include spending time with family.

I am a Navajo teacher from Kayenta, AZ. I have been teaching grades 6 to 12th over a 12 year time period. In those years I have taught remedial math to AP Calculus and I am currently a Career Technical Ed. teacher teaching career exploration and a software development program new to our high school. I love the outdoors and enjoy my family.

Hello, My name is Scott Usher. I am teaching ECS to 9th grade students at Eleanor Roosevelt High School in Corona, Ca. We are off to a great start and I look forward to continued professional development through CODE.org. This is my 11th year teaching computer/technology courses, but my first year teaching Computer Science. I participate in extra activities on campus such as FBLA, Robotics, and Coaching.

see you at tomorrow’s workshop at The Speak Easy

Hi there! I’ve been trying to get a hold of you! Can you email me?? We have some code classes set up and wanted to invite you and the other Liberty CS Teachers!!! mblasingame@brentwood.k12.ca.us

My name is Ted Pazulski. This is my 28th year teaching in Montgomery County, Maryland. Our school has added the ECS course just this year. I enjoy outdoor activities and spend a lot of my time scuba diving.

Just remember one fundamental thing: You teach kids- not curriculum. Good luck,
Ted

Hello, my name is Jureen. I have been teaching for 20 years as a Business and Information Technology teacher and now I am teaching ECS. My students are enjoying the classes. ECS is a very good introductory course for students in middle schools.

Thanks for commenting on this question. I just had a student transfer into our school district from out of the country. He was previously enrolled in Digital Design. Guidance called me to inquiry about the course and its description, but I was not familiar with it. So thanks you for explaining it is similar to Design and Multimedia.

Hello, I have reviewed the curriculm for the ECS program and have been trying to incorporate lessons in to my classes. Unfortunately my students have not been as receptive to the program. I am going to keep on working with the lessons and trying to make the lessons engaging.

I HAVE BEEN TEACHING FOR 31 YEARS between and private own school by a corporation and public school system. I really enjoy the public school school system with all of the extra curriculum activities that come along ,but it is challenging because you have a variety of problems that never end…

1 Like