ECS Forum Introductions (16-17 school year)

Hi Heidi!

I’m looking forward to collaborating with you this year. If your conference is in Boise, ID we have great hula hooping facilities and wide open roads to drive on :).

Hi! I’m Christine Pedersen, Business and Marketing teacher at Varina High School. I’ve been teaching for many years, mostly as an English teacher. My hobbies are reading, writing, and learning Spanish by watching telenovelas.

Hello, my name is Timothy Poseley. I have 3 years teaching experience as a mathematics teacher in high school one of which is in computer science. The computer science was teaching C++ and Java through an independent district designed course. I enjoy photography and nature in general. I currently coach Soccer, advise the National Honor Society Chapter for my school, and am the sport announcer for our athletics competitions.

Hi! I’m Myola Shanholtzer. Yesterday was my first “last day” of school as a brand new teacher in Mukilteo, WA. What a whirlwind year it was! I came from the maritime field and am excited to add computer science to my classes next year. I also teach Man Tech, Robotics, and Engineering.

Hey Tim - how do you like coaching and teaching? I’m thinking of applying for the C team girls soccer coach next year but am a bit concerned about the lost of ‘family’ time. Ha - especially with adding a new class to my schedule as a fairly new teacher.

During season you will probably give up more time than usual, but for me coaching was definitely like a therapy. Having freedom to teach the kids lessons that they can take in life and how to love the game more, it is definitely calming.

Hi, my name is Ty Neely. I have been teaching for 13 years now. I now teach at Granada Hills Charter High School.

Just wanted to say I enjoy your use of the phrase “code training,” i intend to borrow.

Greetings from Virginia! My name is Sonnya Preston and I teach Business & Information Technology at Andrew Lewis Middle School. I love to learn, travel, shop, and listen to music. If I could be a professional student… I would. I see people from all over the United States taking part in this forum and that alone gets me excited!!

I will be attending Riverside.

My name is Penelope Spanos. I teach Business Education classes at Williamsburg Middle School in Arlington, VA. This is my first year teaching. I played Field Hockey in high school. I taught Marketing and Hospitality & Tourism Classes during my student teaching experience, which I really enjoyed.

My name is Penelope Spanos, I like tennis too. I also have one year teaching experience!

My name is Joe. I like sports and old movies>

Hello, my name is Angel Gamiño and I have been teaching math for 15 years. I really enjoy my family and watching my daughters play sports.

Are the classes you taught developed by yourself or by your district?

Hi! My name is Sheryl Adams. I have been teaching math for 20 years. My hobbies are reading, DIY projects, and playing some video games. My favorite genres are fantasy and science fiction. I first heard about computers in 7th grade and you can believe this played right into my love of science fiction!. This was when computers were huge and personal computers were just an idea in a drawing room. I waited patiently until personal computers became a reality and affordable. My children were the first children in our neighborhood and some of a limited number in their schools to have a computer. So when the opportunity to teach computer science came up I jumped at it. I felt it was an opportunity to learn and teach about computers science. I can’t wait to introduce students to computer science.

Hello, I am Cathy Owen. I am teaching 9-12 grade computer classes at Compass Academy in Idaho Falls. Excited to learn and grow with my students.

Greetings all,

My name is Phillip Facemire, and I am so excited to start this PD.
I have been a teacher for about 10 years mostly teaching middle school math and science, which I love.
The opportunity to teach CS classes part-time came to me last year, which I took. So I taught 8th grade science on one day and different CS classes on the other day; lather, rinse, repeat. Problem is, there is no curriculum, just some guidelines to follow and I had three different courses (a programming course, a hardware course: think A+ Cert., and a Design. Multi-media and web technology class). Additionally, I am the mentor for the Zero Robotics team: Source Code; and the First robotics team: RoboGenesis #2988. I was able to increase CS interest so much that this turned into a full-time HS position.

When I am not teaching, I am playing with my two children, Jack and Zoey, who are 11 and 4 respectively. I also enjoy building things (from furniture to Magic Mirrors to cornhole boards. I enjoy golf, but play around 2-3 rounds a year.

By taking this position, I am bound and determined to increase the CS interest and capacity in my school to the point that CS is brought into elementary and middle school.

Hello everyone - my name is Brett. I just finished up my 13th year of teaching. The 16-17 school year will be my first time ever teaching a CS course. I am very excited.

Hello! My name is Kyle Ramstad. I have been teaching middle school mathematics for 2 years at Robert Fulton College Preparatory School in Van Nuys. I am very excited to be teaching Computer Science for the first time next year. I enjoy playing guitar, playing video games, building things with my hands, and computer programing.