Initial Rubric Criteria Thoughts

1. Completing the basic coding instructions - all students would have to get it approved by me before moving on to the next sections
  2. Creating extensions - must write a summary of what they are trying to do, were they successful, what issues did they have
  3. Completing a lab report where they pick out their independent variable and what dependent variable they will measure.
  4. Communication/Collaboration peer evaluation

Basic steps completed
Advanced
Creativeness
Content Knowledge

4 categories I feel are important for assessing a computer model:

• General CS knowledge, including reaching goals
  • Ability to problem solve/debug, including creativity
  • Collaboration with peers
  • Overall perseverance

my four areas are the following:

1…Experimental design and implantation of the scientific practices-This category includes both the design and scientific practices so that there is a focus on the science and engineering when creating the
2. coding creativity-Students will applied what they have learned about coding when designing their group model of the ecosystems.Also, how readable it is to others and its complexity.
3. Presentation of the model. The important of this category is how well does the groups explain the scientific question, data and analysis, and the design…
4. cooperative work-This is important because the students need to cooperate and communicate with each to get the work done on a timely matter…
The module is Ecosytems.

Ability to accurately create a functioning code.
Ability to collaborate with a team.
Content knowledge.
Ability to relate code to real life application.

I would include the following topics in my Rubric.

1. Accuracy in coding the base model

2. Correct content concepts

3. Collaboration

4. Creativity in taking it to the next phase

5. Understanding the coding -presentation

I would use the following criteria:

1. Coding: Basic code works.
  2. Creativity: Student is able to add to the basic code.
  3. Communication: Ability to describe and explain the model.
  4. Perseverance: Student displays a good attitude while coding.
  5. Collaboration: Student works well with others.

I would include following components in the Criteria/Rubric:

• Coding (students being able to code)
    -Collaboration/Communication (students working together and being able to explain their model)
  • Perseverance (students persevered throughout completing the model)
  • Scientific Accuracy
  1. Accuracy in coding-students coding should be successful in running
  2. Creativity - students should utilize their skills in thinking outside of the box and create something different
  3. Peer collaboration- students should be able to collaborate with others in discussing and creating their codes
  4. Scientific relevancy - student models should be scientifically relevant

My rubric would be out of a four point scale for a possible total of 16 points.

Hi,
Here are a few ideas that I have for the beginning components of a coding rubric. Students should know and understand the value computer science can bring to “experimental design”/”modeling” in scientific investigations.

1. Computer Science Code: Students should be able to complete the basic code to their model without any error and steps to extend beyond the explicitly stated instruction. This extension should make direct connection to the science illustrated in the investigation.
  2. Illustration of Model: Students will identify (include) key images (illustrations) that will interact and depict the processes depicted in the model designed.
  3. Scientific Concept: Students are able to make explicit connections to the scientific model constructed providing an explanation to what the model depicts. An analysis of data is evident and well organized.
  4. Originality: Students add a unique component to their model where they provide connections that connect to their real lives.
  5. Collaboration: Students share their projects and are supportive members in the development of experimental models within the classroom.

Collaboration- how well students work together and explain their model
Perseverance- students ability to work through the model
Coding- ability to code and complete the model
Creativity- student is able to add on or create new code

I am clueless on how to assess this.

The ability to code should be assessed.
Students should show perseverance in working through the model and finding coding glitches.
The ability to present what they were doing and explaining its relevance to science.
Collaboration is also important.

I would use the following for a rubric:

1. Basic coding skills
  2. Collaboration with peers
  3. Creativity
  4. Scientific Thinking/Does it make sense?

I. Scientific Accuracy - Does the model accurately simulate the scientific concept? Has evidence been provided to validate the accuracy of simulation?
II. Code Accuracy and Efficiency – Does the simulation work as planned? Is the code organized and efficient?
III. Complexity and Creativity of Simulation – Does the simulation go beyond the basic level and add something new?
IV. Scientific Functionality - Does the simulation generate data to help understand a scientific concept or phenomenon? Did they build in a method for displaying this data in an appropriate table or graph.

The 4 items that I believe should be assessed are

1. Coding accuracy
  2. Collaboration with group
  3. Scientific Accuracy
  4. Presentation

Actual Coding
Group Collaboration
Level of Accuracy
Presentation

This is online but it would not copy here

Rubric for Coding in Science

1. Knowledge of Coding Concepts - does the student show basic understading of the coding process, etc
  2. Scientific Application/ Connection - how is the simulation related to real scientific phenomenon/events
  3. Peer Collaboration - how did the student use his/her community of learners to gain more knowledge of coding in science
    The fewer criteria for the rubric the better for students/ teachers to understand the purpose of coding as a tool in understanding science.

Students should know and understand how computer science can be used to model scientific investigations.
Coding: Students should be able to complete the basic code to their model without any error and steps to extend the model. This extension should make directly address any shortfalls that may have shown up in the original model.
Science Concepts: Students should have illustrated and expanded the concepts that they were to study and model. An analysis of data is evident and well organized.
Collaboration: Students share their projects and are supportive members in the development of experimental models within the classroom.