Meet and Greet (CS in Science)

Congratulations on 3 years, Eligia! If you can teach that long, you’ve made it through…I am also looking forward to using the contents of this course in the science classroom.

Hello, I’m Ethel. This past school year was my first ever! I teach science to 6th graders or 7th graders. That includes: Intro to Earth and Environmental Science and Life Science. I discovered that I have a lot of passion for teaching and a wonderful team for support. I’ve used computer science in the classroom with my students but not as aggressively as this program is going to teach us to incorporate. I can’t wait to see and learn the different strategies to bridge the two sciences together in the classroom.

Hello, from the other side of the US. I’m from Virginia and it’s comforting to know that I am not the only one new to coding and new to sixth grade. This will be an interesting challenge for us.

Nice to meet you, looking forward to a collaborative community! I used to live in SLC and taught at S. Davis Jr. High a “few” years ago. :slight_smile:

Greetings all, nice to meet you. I teach middle school science near Seattle WA. I have a limited background of CS and I am looking forward to the learning how to weave CS into science. I love utilizing technology in the classroom, so this should be fun. :smile:

Hello - My name is Beth and I live in northeastern North Carolina. I am the media coordinator in a PreK through 2nd Grade school. This year we are beginning a computer science fundamentals class as one of our “cultural arts” rotation classes. I will be supervising the instructional assistants who will teach this class and will sometimes teach it myself. We have decided to use the code.org curriculum for this class so I’m completing the online course to familiarize myself with the curriculum and to plan for the year.

Hello, my name is Matt and I teach 6th grade science at Sierra Vista Middle School in Covina. I have some decent background experience in coding but I have never taught a class about it. This is my 5th year teaching so I am looking forward to doing something new!

My name is Lori Day and I teach 7th and 8th grade science at Lakeside Middle School in Perris, CA. I have been teaching for four years. I looking forward to adding computer science to my classes this year. I have not done any code work since the days of fortran and commodore 64s, so I would say I have no experience!

Your HS kids must be lucky to have an instructor with your skill set and humor.

Hello all,
My name is Jose and I’ve been a middle school science teacher for 17 years. I had the privilege to assist our teachers this past year with preparing them for our 1:1 Chromebook as a TOSA. I’m exciting to be back in the classroom to use the technology and different digital tools to enhance the learning process.

Hi - I just finished my 15th year teaching science at Joaquin Moraga Intermediate School. I teach 7th grade Life Science, 8th grade Physical Science and also the Yearbook class. I have just a little experience with Computer Science. I am looking forward to learning more.

Hi, I’m Nathan Sekinger, a middle school librarian in Stafford, VA who has been implementing coding as part of a maker program in my school. We use a number of CS and other science principles as makers. As a librarian, I am able to partner with my teachers in the building to collaborate on instruction. I hope to use this CS program to better work with the science teachers at my school and with our makers.

Hello, my name is Hailey and I teach 6th grade Life Science and 7th grade Earth and Space Science at Tyee Middle School in Bellevue, Washington. This will be my 8th year teaching and my 1st year learning about and teaching coding to my students. I’m excited (and a little nervous) for this new learning experience.

Hi pgonzalez, congrats on teaching for over 20 years. I agree with you that the CS skills are what our students will need to survive (and thrive) in “our ever advancing society”. I think this learning experience will be beneficial for both the teacher and the students. Best of luck this year!

Greetings Everyone,
My name is Wesley Miller and I have over 20 years teaching experience within Chicago Public Schools. I currently work as a Science Instructional Support Leader for CPS. I am looking forward to learning all that I can about coding and sharing this fascinating new computer science curriculum with others.

Hi! I am John and i live and teach in fishers, Indiana. I am an 8th grade science teacher and have been teaching for 30 years. I look forward to learning about coding and what it can offer in my classroom.

I also teach 8th grade physical science. Best of luck during this PD.

Hello,

nice to meet you Christopher! I also teach 7th grade science. Is this your first year teaching robotics?
What curriculum will you use? I am using the PLTW curriculum.

Hi,

My name is Nicole Rowland and I teach 6th grade science in Chesterfield County Virginia. This will be my 12th year teaching science, but my first experience teaching coding and I’m excited to see how I can use it to expand upon lab activities!

Hi Ethel,

Congrats on completing your first year of teaching! I too am looking forward to seeing how I can bridge computer science with earth and physical science.