Meet and Greet (CS in Science)

Greetings. I’m Laura. I’ve been teaching middle school science in Maryland for over 15 years. I have no previous experience with CS but I look forward to learning about and integrating coding into my classroom instruction.

My name is Kelly Lindsley. I have been teaching middle school science for 24 years. I have participated in Hour of Code for the past two years, but I must confess that my students are far better than I am at it. I decided to participate in this professional development because it is important for our students to be able to code and I am hopeless at coding. I hope to learn a lot so that I can help prepare my students for the jobs that they may have in the future.

Hi Eden. I also teach middle school science. I’m hoping coding will help engage some of my more challenging students.

Hello,
My name is Karen. I teach in Chicago Public Schools and have taught for 20 years. I have been teaching high school science for 5 years, mainly 9th grade biology but I’ve taught AP bio, chemistry, and now this year will be teaching environmental science. I have used some online simulations but know very little about coding so I’m excited for the introduction.

Hello,
My name is Tameka Woodruff, and I am a middle school STEM Program Coordinator for Prince George’s County Public Schools. I have been in the field of education for approximately ten years, but I am always looking for ways to both improve my practice and help to further develop the teachers that I work with. I am excited to learn more about integrating CS in science.

Hi,
My name is Simin Mirzanian, and I teach science at Tyee Middle School in Bellevue, Washington. I have been a teacher for 17 years and really enjoy all the challenges and new things that I get to do with my students. I am completely new to coding and am very excited about it. I am hoping to challenge and engage my students more in science.

Hi. My name is Kim and I will be teaching 6th grade science in Maryland this year. I look forward to learning something new this summer. I have been teaching for 20 years.

I am a math and science teacher in Maryland. At a private school I teach physical science and geometry. My background is in mechanical engineering.

Hi!
My name is Andre Botello, I teach middle school science in Chicago, Illinois. I have been teaching for 4 and a half years now and have little to no experience with Coding. I am excited to be apart of this program!

-Respectfully,

Andre

Hello my name is Derrick Thornton , I am going into my 3rd year of teaching Computer skill at the middle school level in southern Maryland. Before that I lived in Colorado and taught at preshool working with 3, 4 and 5 year old children. I am Taurus and like long walks on the beach

Hi, I’m Yolanda, a middle school science teacher with Chicago Public Schools, which includes grades 5-8. I have been teaching 11 years. My love of science stems from me being a board certified Medical Technologist previously. Computer science and coding is new for me but I am intrigued and ready to dive in!

Hi…

I teach 8th grade earth science in Clarkston, Washington. This is my 35th year of teaching. I have taught 2nd, 3rd, 5th grade as well as 7th grade language arts before my move to middle school science. I am so excited to learn about Coding! Sounds like a great teaching tool to use with my middle school science curriculum.

HI, I teach middle school science in Richland, WA. It is wonderful to continue to be excited about learning new skills and ideas for teaching science when you have had many years of experience to draw on. I am looking forward to the enrichment that you will be adding to the group.

Hi!
My name is Kayte Snikeris. I am a 7th grade teacher at Walt Disney Magnet School in Chicago, Illinois. I teach Math, Science, Health, and Writing to my (semi-) self-contained gifted students. I am going on my third year at Disney, but taught strictly Math for 6 years prior. As a new teacher of Science, I am excited to learn more about Computer Science. My students have been exposed to coding, but I have a lot to learn!

I am with you Kelly! I “taught” coding last year, but really my students taught me! I am excited to learn more about it also!

My name is Cheryl and my first career was in IT application development. I programmed in COBOL,PL/1 Assembler and FORTRAN programming languages in the business community. I since then moved into Elementary and Middle school science teaching in Chicago. It has always been my desire to be able to integrate computer science into the science curriculum. I have a MS in Computer Science so I am excited about this program. I took the Intro to CODE K - 5 course. I hope to meet like minded teachers to collaborate with and learn from…

Hi, my name is Doug Hall. I teach 7th grade science at Evergreen Middle School in Everett, WA. I’m looking forward to teaching this program in my classroom.

Wow, Cheryl. It sounds like you will be able to offer a lot of expertise. Glad to see you are also in Chicago. :smile:

Greetings! My name is Anita and I have been teaching middle school science for 8 years. I’ve also taught middle school math for several years and started out as a primary teacher many moons ago. My computer programming skills are limited. Back in my undergrad days I learned how to do basic programming in BASIC, but that’s it. I am looking forward to this program so that I can catch up with my students!

Hi,
My name is Bobby de Grouchy. I teach CS at Hudtloff Middle School in Lakewood, Washington. I’ve taught CTE/Technology for seven years, and for 5 years before that I taught 3rd grade, and 5/6 ELA. I’m looking forward to the upcoming training.