Prep with Peers

What’s your plan for TLO?

• What module will you be teaching?
  • How will you present lesson 2?
  • What is your plan for lesson 3?
  • What activities are you most looking forward to?
  • Is there any place that you’re feeling stuck?
  • What help can you offer to others?

My plan for the TLO is to hopefully gain some confidence in presenting this to my class. I want to start implementing in my classroom but am looking forward to gaining some feedback from others before I begin.
I would like to start slow and teach module 1 before jumping into the content modules. I have several classes that are only 9 weeks long, so my plan is gain experience teaching the first starter module to this quarters 9 week classes so I can work on any of my bugs and then next quarter I would like to implement module 2 to my 6th graders.
I am not sure if I am looking forward to any of it yet, we will see after the in person training!

I agree that module 1 will certainly need to be taught before lesson 2 or 3 should be introduced. I am looking forward to working with my teachers to implement this in the classroom as I think students will really be engaged at all levels. Those who catch on quickly can certainly extend their knowledge, and those who are struggling will get some relevant experience with higher level thinking skills and experience success when things are figured out! Classes at our school are all semester based, but with the start of school being a bit hectic due to some major changes in our approach, I have not yet had an opportunity to meet with my teachers to start implementing these lessons in classrooms.

I agree, I am going to start slowly with module 1. I have a couple students who say they are knowledgeable about coding. We’ll see, maybe they can help me and the class!

I will definitely start with module 1. My hopes are that most students will have the opportunity and knowledge to move to using module 4 in a classroom lab.

I’m starting with Module 1 as well. I feel like my students would be overwhelmed if I jumped into a later module. My plan is to ease into Module 1 allow my lower learners to fully get the hang of the program and, in the mean time, my higher learners can explore all of the available functions and options. I will probably take longer than what it should due to limited computers for students and our internet being spotty. After Module 1 I believe I would like to try Module 3. The in person PD will hopefully help me feel more confident and give a refresher before I start this in school.

I’ll definitely start with module 1 and go slowly. I’m looking forward to the physical activities that show complex systems. I think my students will struggle with the StarLogo Nova program. I assume that some kids will emerge in each class who catch on quickly, so I’ll push them to try the second module. I’ll feel successful if all of my students start and get a few things done in the program.

I will be teaching the chemical reactions module. I will work slowly as I am learning with them on how to teach the coding. My plan is to move slowly into lesson 2 and 3. I am looking forward on seeing how the students enjoy the process and how much they will teach me. I think once I get into the teaching I will see issues that I will have.

During the summer I worked with Module 4, however, I think I’ll go with Module 1 and “start over”. I am not confident in my coding skills at all and therefore not at all confidant presenting this to students.

Module 2, not module 1

The original intent was for me to teach module 1 and 2 since water as a resource is a 6th grade connection here. I also now have some 8th grade students and the chemistry module correlates with that curriculum. As far as what I will be teaching during the in-person day, I would assume I will stick with the water module as I worked with it over the summer. I am looking forward to finally getting to the point of teaching the curriculum. I have some students that are really excited about coding so that gets me excited. I hope that I can help talk through lessons with other teachers so that we can all get comfortable with the material to be able to present and teach our students.

I will be teaching ecosystems. I have already taught module 1 and most of my students did very well. I will probably allow them time to refamiliarize themselves with the coding during STARR time the week before we go into ecosystems. I think the lessons may take longer than anticipated, so I may need to shorten certain parts. I am looking forward to having the kids gather data.

My goal is to be able to actually use this material in my Physical Science class. So much of it does not apply to my content. I do like the limiting reactant module, but there is only so long we have to spend on that topic. It would be great if we could model relationships in equations like speed, acceleration, momentum. I think I can teach module 4 to my peers in this class. However I would have to begin with lesson 1 with my students. I feel that I am certainly going to be stuck when it comes to talking students through this. I feel I am going to be more of watch me do this as opposed to an expert that can explain from memory the step by step procedures.

I will soon be teaching Module 2 since I have already conquered Module 1 with my students. The biggest take aways included making sure to use the pair programming and make the students change jobs at the drop of a hat. Students are also too interested in asking for help without working through their problems independently first. They are too used to being told the right answer so retraining them that the struggle is beneficial is paramount.

I plan on presenting lesson 2 just as presented. It makes sense to have students describe what the code will do prior to actually running it and then learning how to complete experiments with the simulations. I am looking forward to seeing the questions students attempt to answer. Looking forward to getting back to coding!

I have very similar ideas. Although I teach physical science, I have to review 6th and 7th grade (earth and life science concepts.) I want to teach module 1 and 2 because I have to review the water cycle within my chemistry units. I want to plan lessons with the 6th and 7th grade teachers too.

I plan to increase my knowledge of Module 4: Chemical Reactions so that I can confidently teach the lesson to my students. I am looking forward to extending the Module to include other aspects of the Physical Science curriculum. I anticipate learning along side my students to become proficient in coding.

After finishing module 1, I will be teaching module 2. I will use the water cycle as the starting point of the discussion for lesson 2. For lesson 3, I will provide the first experiment, adding the second pump. But I will have the students develop their own experiment to collect and analyze data. I amt looking forward to the students get into computer programming for something other than programming robots. I am struggling how to explain the concept of time in StarLogo Nova. Provide reference materials for the students, that do not provide the answer to the activities, but gets them to think about how to design and run their experiments.

I will be teaching Module 1 this semester and Module 4 next semester. I think Module 1 is the foundation for all future modules, so I definitely want the students to have a firm grasp of it before moving on to content-based programming. I will present the lessons with some video clips, much like how it was presented to us in the summer workshop. The video of how birds behave in a complex adaptive system is a perfect illustration of what may be a complex concept. I am most looking forward to the sense of achievement students will feel when they are able to get their turtles to do what they want them to do. I know because that’s what I felt when I was able to code them successfully!

I agree with everyone else that I plan on starting with module one before we go into the lessons. To me this is a downside because it takes away from other things I need to be teaching my students, however this is necessary to get the students ready for the actual lessons. As I write this though I am also thinking that I could have my students do the module one at home so that we can focus on the actual modules that apply to our science classes. Is that something that others think might work?

I will be teaching the chemical reactions module. I have developed a model for an Iodine Clock Reaction since we’re doing that in class and it may be (we’ll see!) helpful to have students see how the model compares to the actual reaction. Students will be able to adjust concentration levels and temperature to see the effect these have on reaction rates.

One thing I’m stuck in the programming is: How do you program the terrain color to change once an agent reaches a certain level? (ex - if agent “x” color red > 10 change terrain color to red)
Can anyone explain how to change terrain color?