Returning work?

I am wondering what the procedure is on when to return a file to a student. I know you need to return it if the file is corrupted or there are other technical issues. I’m wondering if I’m allowed to return it if the student clearly didn’t finish answering the question and I know they meant to? Or is that considered as feedback?

@lynette_yorgason That is a tough one, but I think it falls under the category of providing feedback to the student before assessment. For so this scenario some may think that it falls within a gray area. I however, in this case prefer to stay o the side of caution. I would not return the document to the student.

I was thinking the same thing, it feels kind of rough but I can also see doing it leading to a slippery slope of teacher feedback. Thanks!

Hi @lynette_yorgason,

I agree with @terence.stone25 that you should not return the document. Specifically, (quoted from official College Board person Crystal Furman on the College Board community forum)…

On page 16 of the AP CSP digital portfolio teacher guide, teachers can return work to students if their work:

• Is the wrong submission

• Is corrupt or not readable

• Cannot be opened due to some other technical error

I hope that helps to clarify.

Frank

The Survival Guide also has a really good checklist for students to self-check and ensure that they have met all of the requirements.

According to the above restrictions, would the “wrong submission” include if a student submitted a copy of their code / IWR wherein they did not have their algorithms/abstractions outlined with an oval/rectangle. My understanding is that he submitted a draft copy as final, rather than his actual final copy. I know I’m splitting hairs here, but I want to give my students the benefit of the doubt, especially since he realized it on his own, rather than someone else reviewing it and letting him know. Thoughts?!?!

Sorry, this may be irrelevant since it’s after the submission deadline.

That does seem very much like a gray area and open to interpretation. Personally (and not by any interpretation or authority of College Board), I would let that slide if it really seemed like an oversight on part of the student. I would only let them submit the new version if I see on the written response they already explicitly selected pieces of code, and that the ovals/rectangles on the new code submission matches exactly what’s indicated on the written response.

In general, graders work to give students points where they are due. The ovals/rectangles serve to assist the grader in easily finding the highlighted code in case they want to understand the context of the code. The student supposedly already identified and indicated what code they’re speaking of by copy/pasting it directly into the written response. I don’t believe (and again, don’t quote me on this), a grader would deduct the point solely for a missing oval/rectangle.

When it comes down to it, all bets are off if the student didn’t follow directions, but there’s a chance they’ll let it slide.

Frank, thanks for the update. I told the student I couldn’t change it once it was submitted as final. I figured it was better not to be seen as helping the student, even at the risk of a point or two.