Should CS Students take the CSP exam or not?

Today is the last day at our school to sign up for the exam. I have been really encouraging students to do so and also sending reminder emails to their parents/guardians. There’s a discussion that AP CSP credit will be for non CS majors only at colleges that accept the credit. Students that took the AP CS exam before AP CSP and are majoring in CS don’t plan to sign up for the exam. How can I dispute this? Will colleges of computer science and engineering find an elective for this credit for these students? What does Harvard, UC Berkley, MIT, Stanford and many of the others that helped create this course plan to do with this credit? This is my last minute ditch to a couple of students. Thanks!

hey, @carmichaelc! one thing for these students to consider is that AP credit for CSP can still give a gen-ed credit, meaning it can count as a credit towards the total number of credits required to graduate, even though it might not help them skip over a specific class for the major.

That’s what I keep telling them. Thanks Brook

@carmichaelc, here’s an example of where that might actually be useful: say a normal course load is 4 courses or credits per term. in a term when students are signed up for a particularly strenuous load, they could take advantage of having an extra gen-ed credit and take a reduced course load, and only sign up for 3 classes. because of the extra gen-ed credit from the AP, students who do this can avoid falling behind on total credits needed to graduate, which still taking a reduced load while enrolled in particularly demanding classes. (it’s worth noting that i did exactly this when i was in college!)

hope this example helps!

To be sure, I contacted Penn State University Park CS department and spoke to an advisor. The course will be a case by case basis to see how it can be used. It must be unique enough that it’s not redundant with one of their required courses. They have a department list of gen. ed courses which include history, art, etc so he said it would not work for one of them. In other words, they have no definitive answer for where it could fit. Another point similar to yours is colleges now require you to take x number of classes to be considered full time. As this course gets more established, we’ll see more colleges finding or creating an elective for them - like UVA’s A and B versions. Thanks!

In Texas, state supported colleges and universities are required to give credit for scores of 3 or higher.

Does anyone have any research or lists of colleges nationally that accept a 3?