Teaching conditionals

Conditionals are easily related to classroom procedures. For example, " if" you put your work into the “Return” tray, “Else” you will get credit for you work. “If” you put work anywhere not the tray, “Else” you will get no credit for your work.

I will teach the conditions of children 5-6 years for the first time, so I’ll try the proposed option. I think that they will like it.

I can see where there could be some confusion with “if then” and “if else” statements. I think that it would be very helpful to practice using this as a prompt in daily oral language activities to foster an understanding of the vocabulary term conditionals and how to use them not only in computer science but in our everyday lives.

Conditionals could be illustrated through a game like Simon Says. If the teacher says “Simon Says” before an instruction, you follow it. Else you don’t. If you follow the instruction and your teacher didn’t say “Simon Says” then you must sit down.

Since my students are teachers who want to teach CS in K-12, we would try some of the unplugged lessons to explore and learn about conditionals. We’ll use a role playing method and some teachers will play a part of a teacher and some will play the part of students.

Out of school for summer, so no experiments possible with class right now. Loved the ideas suggested by posters and the activities suggested on the website.

Explaining conditions to kindergarten students happens frequently, especially if they are noisy. My was of explaining conditionals was, if the entire class is quiet during an assignment we will have recess if not we will not have it. Another example is if the entire class is good during specials for the whole week then on Friday we get to watch a movie, if not we will do worksheets instead.

I have not taught conditionals before, but the great examples you provided will help me introduce them to my students.

I would use everyday life examples with age appropriate ideas to explain conditionals. Since I teacher high school you could use examples about cell phone bill, getting you drivers license, getting (keeping) a job, etc.

I like using the example of the class being quiet for X amount of seconds. If you’re quiet, then I’ll do a handstand or sing an opera song (or give you extra recess). During our workshop, we played a game of Mother May I- “If you are wearing a purple shirt, take one step forward” or “If you are wearing sandals, take a step back.” We talked about using equity sticks or randomly pulling these conditionals out of a bag (to promote equity). I also like using the deck of cards example: If you get a red card, then you get one point. So, if you don’t get a red card/pull a black card, then you lose a point.

I have not taught it yet. Will be happy to share later

Teaching conditionals has been a weakness in my beginner level experiences. I’ve tried teaching 7th and 8th graders about it through choose your own adventure stories. I introduced a story creation tool to incorporate coding too soon and the students left totally lost. My 6th-grade class caught on a little more through several sessions of Conditional with Cards.

I’d use: “What would you do if…”
(For example: you have a million dollars)
Or let them come up with the “if” part by having them complete the statement.
(For example: if… I will cry like a baby)

I like using the card games to teach conditionals. This could be a station/center during work stations. At first, the teacher could make the conditionals and as students become comfortable with the game, they could come up with their own conditions. I also could see teaching conditionals as a whole group activity during a morning meeting. If you are wearing sneakers, stand up. Else sit down. If you have blue eyes, do 5 jumping jacks, else stand still. Etc. It would be a fun and engaging way to quickly teach/do a conditional activity.

I teach 8’th grade science so I could use the “if…then” format in a science experiment or exploration to teach this concept. Because in the conclusion of the experiment, either the data supported their hypothesis or it did not. This would relate to conditionals in computer science.

I would teach conditionals to my 3rd graders by putting a small obstacle on the floor and instructing them to walk forward with these instructions:

IF the obstacle is in front of them, jump over it
ELSE IF there’s room, keep walking
ELSE stop at the wall

I would add more obstacles and connect it to the concept of Looping that we learned in previous lessons.

There are several real-life examples of Conditionals. The first that comes to mind is the use of Umbrellas. We only use and bring them to school IF it is raining. Same applies to rain jackets.

Way back in the “Dark Ages” when I was presented FORTRAN and COBOL, the language was “if/then”…reprogramming my own brain to if/else, I understand the logic. I believe sharing the language with our students will bring awareness. For example, “If we have Gym, wear your gym uniform and sneakers; else, wear your school uniform.” Continued reinforcement will solidify the concept. The Loops will reveal patterns; I admittedly have some issue with writing the code with least steps possible. As with all learned concepts, practice, practice, practice…also, partner work with some friendly coding experts! :robot::dog:

Really like the idea of identifying conditionals that occur in their lives on a daily basis…am trying to think of one off the top of my head and am having trouble. Why is that? If you hear the whistle at recess, line up. Else keep playing.

Really liked the reminder Kiki had in the video: If then is what you do when it is true, else is when it isn’t true/false. That resonated.

Conditionals are not explicitly taught to students but are assumed, if you complete this assignment you will have free time tonight, else you will be expected to complete it on your time as homework…for example. I teach 4th and 5th grade and I find that for many of my students anything conditional seems “unfair”. This is a perfect lesson that ties to the real world expectations for pre-teens…I am adding this term to my first day of school vocabulary, explaining that the choices my students are making every day are “conditionals”.