Teaching sequencing

In teachingf third grade place value , I would use the hundreds chart and after whole group practice, have them write a series of directions using arrows to start and one number and arrive at designated number - starting with one or two steps and then progressing, using knowledge of place value and the arrows.

Since we use Minecraft so often in the classroom, it would be fairly easy to utilize the process of growing crops or crafting tools to teach them sequencing. I think the connection would be made fairly easy using this method.

I use directions to teach sequencing. For example, write down the steps to getting up in the morning and arriving to school. Students write out the steps and we perform them using paper dolls as instructions are providedā€¦

I have worked with kindergarten, first, second grade students to help expose them to computational thinking skills. I ask them to give examples of things we do in our lives that we do in the same order of steps each time. Then I demonstrate these two examples using real props: putting shoes and socks on and brushing my teeth. I ask students to tell me the steps in the correct order and then I do it in the wrong order. After lots of laughter, we revisit the discussion and they talk about why it is important to follow directions in the correct order or sequence. We list some examples of when it is very important: following doctorā€™s instructions, driving to an address, following a cooking recipe.

Then I have students act out ā€œscriptsā€ made of arrows (for non-readers) and words (for readers) to lead them to specific destinations in the classroom. then I hand out envelopes with small cards of arrows or words and ask them to program a partner to move to a spot in the room.

2 Likes

I teach middle and senior students, and i am from the middle east / Egypt. I am so excited about getting started teaching this curriculum in our classrooms all over the country and not only the school i am working for . This kind of golden knowledge is just what our future need . Therefore, kindly any advice to help me achieve this goal ? and to know exactly where to start and what to do ?

I think your instructor at ISTE was Harvey Scribner. Heā€™s great! Reach out to him here: @PhillyTechTeacher on Twitter

1 Like

Hi there! Might I recommend that you start by completing the Hour of Code and/or Courses 1 and 2 yourself?

2 Likes

This will be my first year teaching. Iā€™ll be working with 7th graders in a science classroom. A 7th grade science teacher who I worked with in the past did the peanut butter and jelly sandwich demonstration every year, and the kids loved it. Iā€™m planning on doing this. I also really like the idea of having the students make paper maps of places that theyā€™re familiar with, such as the school, their neighborhood, their home, etc. on graph paper, or something like that ā€“ so that their map looks like the board game, CLUE. They could use a penny or some other placeholder and guide another student from one place to another on their map.

HI Melissa, i want you to know iā€™m really excited about learning coding and get involved by taking those online courses which are available for everyone.
I took your advice and i finished my hour of code and i got my online certificate :blush:, though when i finished my other online course (k-5 PD online course ) i got my certificate but without my name on it, instead i found in my account another certificate for learning the fundamental of computer science. I wonder why is that?

That is very strange indeed! Please send me a screenshot to teach@code.org and I will try to help you.

Congratulations on your achievement!

I work with adults. I have used the peanut butter and jelly sandwich instructions with my students to remind them how important it is to include all the details when giving instructions. Students write their instructions on paper. They then must follow their instructions word for word and try to make an actual sandwich. We have done this with ice cream sundaes, as well. It is a fun way to drive home the concept of sequencing.

1 Like

This sounds really fun for my middle school students and it takes the unplugged activity from Course 2 Lesson 1 to a whole new level. Great extension for ā€œinternet downā€ days!

I think I would explain programming and sequencing with relevant examples like origami or making rubber band bracelets. I like the ideas by other teachers in the forum to have students write down those steps as if they were explaining them to a young child. I think that level of detail is very good for middle school students in particular.

HI Melissa, itā€™s been 4 days since i told you about my certificate problem, and iā€™ve sent the email like you told me to, but unfortunately without any reply :unamused:

Apologies! I am working on this. Would you be willing to report it to support.code.org ? That might help expedite things.

if itā€™s better and faster solution for me ok why not . please tell me how?

I teach 7th and 8th grades. For both terms, sequencing and algorithms, I give a formal definition which students do need to place in their notes. Then to get across the idea of sequencing, I give them a short series of verbal steps that have them move around their desks.

For the algorithm, Iā€™ll have students in groups and give them the task of writing directions around to move around a portion of our field. Each group must begin and end at different parts of the field. They must write these steps down, then they will trade with another group and each will see how close they get to the intended mark.

Weā€™ll debrief afterwards in the classroom and talk about what worked and what didnā€™t.

1 Like

I really like the ability to see what the code actually looks like (the text). I think a supporting activity might be to have some of the students recreate the maze puzzles using lines on the floor, and then direct their partner through the maze using given commands or visuals (arrows?)

I think this will really help my students see the difficult concepts in fourth grade math and realize that what they think is hard is just taking steps to solve a problem.

I am seeing where I can place these unplugged activities within my math time each week.

I like the peanut butter sandwich idea also to introduce sequencing and steps needed to complete a task. Great ideas.