TED Talk on Tracking

This is a great TED talk from Firefox CEO on online trackers

8 Likes

I showed this one too. Its really good and the wild bit is that it is from 2012.

1 Like

Thanks for sharing. We are in the middle of lesson 2.5. Will be showing this video tomorrow as a bellringer :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Great share w/ nice visualizations on tracking impact. Thank you!
If students are ready for further exploration after you show the video, could have them explore ways they can reduce tracking by changing their browser settings. (although it does not entirely eliminate, it reduces.)
if using Chrome:

1. Open Chrome; click Settings.
  2. Click arrow to show Advanced settings
  3. Under "Privacy" Turn On the "Do Not Track" request

If using Internet Explorer:

1. Open I.E.; click the gear in upper right-hand corner to access Settings
  2. Select Safety --> Turn on “Do Not Track
6 Likes

Just learned something new. Thanks for sharing.

1 Like

Thanks for the tip, this is great. The Collusion add-on for Firefox is now called Lightbeam. I installed it, and then demoed it to my class, while visiting a few websites (NYTimes, Youtube, the weather service, NPR, etc). With 5 tabs open, I had more than 130 third party sites tagging along. My kids were shocked. JR

2 Likes

This pops up in Chrome to show you the limitations of the ‘do not track’ command -
Do Not Track

Enabling “Do Not Track” means that a request will be included with your browsing traffic. Any effect depends on whether a website responds to the request, and how the request is interpreted. For example, some websites may respond to this request by showing you ads that aren’t based on other websites you’ve visited. Many websites will still collect and use your browsing data - for example to improve security, to provide content, services, ads and recommendations on their websites, and to generate reporting statistics. Learn more

1 Like

This is an amazing resource! Thank you so much for sharing. I have always wondered about this and I think that many students will find this enlightening.