What's worked for me in the past?
- the "function machine" idea
- making connections between multiple representations (situation in words, graph, table, equation)
What do my students find the most difficult?
- What is f(x)?
- Using parenthesis to mean so many things! Sometimes they mean multiplication, or function notation, or an ordered pair, or a range, etc.
How do you think programming can help with this transition?
- Not sure exactly; I don't know programming well enough to draw connections.
- Increase engagement. Most students are more interested in a programming lesson than an algebra lesson.