U1 Day 10: PD Discussion Topic

I would like my students to understand that data can be and will be interpreted by who is looking at it and their personal experiences. While we like to think that facts are facts, each person adds their own twist or perspective.

I am looking forward to the Room Activity, as I just completed my in Summer Blended Workshop. We were introduced to this activity and I found it to be very engaging and it allowed us in the student role to see different representations of data and how it can be used to tell a story. I would like to see my students have a renewed experience with data as well such as how data can be used to tell a storyā€¦

Iā€™m looking forward to helping students connect different sets of data in order to draw new conclusions, or predict why the data is ā€œactingā€ a certain way (i.e. why does the concern over video game violence increase in November?)

Iā€™m looking forward to having my students do the room activity. I think thatā€™s a good way to show students how different types of data can get different results and it gives them the opportunity to see pros and cons of different types of data. I would like students to be able to understand how to read and interpret data from this lesson.

I look forward to showing the students how much of what we experience is ā€œdataā€ - I would also like them to come up with data sets that are relevant to our school and/or community.

I am looking forward to students reactions when they learn how data can represent in a complex or not so complex way. Also, how it can have itā€™s advantages and disadvantages when it may or may not be as meaningful as we had originally imagined.

Data can be represented more than one way. How data is organized can change the results. Unknown information can distort what is being seen.

I am looking forward to explaining how different views of data can tell a different story and recognizing that data is an incomplete record of reality. The big take-aways I anticipate my students recognizing the importance of having and comparing other data along with the data they are using in order to get a more complete story. The data can be generated differently to tell a totally different story.

Having access to data does not automatically lead to better decisions. It is really up to the student to understand the format of the data and its limitations so that it can be placed into a context where it can be effective.

I think it would also surprise our students how much information can be gotten from a small set of data. If I have time I might show my students this article for discussion. http://www.forbes.com/sites/kashmirhill/2012/02/16/how-target-figured-out-a-teen-girl-was-pregnant-before-her-father-did/

I can relate it to shopping recommendations such as those on amazonā€™s webpage.

This lesson allow students to see different point of views. It allow students to see how data can be interrupted by different people and how it is viewed depending on how the data is represented!

Iā€™m looking forward to this lesson because it is the first glimpse into what Computer Science can be used for in the real world to solve, or at the very least, better represent major issues.

My hope is that students take away the idea that information is deceiving but data doesnā€™t lie. Depending on how something is represented, public opintion and government policy can shift one way or the other, a fact well represented by McCandless.

I am looking forward to this lesson because I want to see how students react to seeing how data can be shown and how it can be biased. My favorite example from the TED talk was the graph about number of soldiers and how China very clearly has the most, but only because they have a very large population. When he brought in another set of data, China was not even in the top 4 for soldiers per 100,000 people. It will be a good thing for students to see this because a lot of media outlets will choose to display data in a biased way so they can get more support or gain more viewers.

This is a good lesson to show some real experience as to what someone with a computer science degree can do. It shows how important data research is and how important it is to display it to a lot of people.

Data, I love data. Too much? Data is such an important topic now in so many areas of our lives. It can feel like someone out there is keeping track of everything we do. Understanding data and being able to representing data is a very valuable skill. I want my students to begin to understand how powerful that can be. I am going to try having students arrange themselves to form live ā€œgraphsā€ by forming groups and lines by different criteria. For example: form four lines by grade level. What would that look like on a spreadsheet? What would that look like on a graph? Now, split each line by males and females. How many male and female 9 graders are there, etc. How do we put that on a spreadsheet. What kinds of charts can we generate from that? Weā€™ll see how that goes.

As always, Iā€™m looking forward to seeing student interpretations and how many different results are produced.

I am looking forward to the engagement and problem solving that this lesson will bring. Analyzing the information through different sets of data will cause students to think critically about how they interpret data. This concept is something that most students typically take for granted. I also plan to show the TED talk because it offers several examples that students will relate to and understand. They will likely find the Facebook break up graph funny, but it will also cause them to think about data and the story that it can tell.

I cringe even typing this but I have always sort of avoided the topic of politics as long as I can remember. Itā€™s a polarizing issue and it always made me so sad that it could part people sometimes definitively. I love the information graphic about it and the presentors description. I hope that this lesson makes information more enjoyable for my student to consume and that it sparks interested to make them physically or at least think up different situations where they could be highly sought after and easily used.

I really enjoyed the picture vs list activity and I am looking forward to doing this with my students. I think it is important for them to see that data presented in different ways may lead to different conclusions. I think it will also be interesting to see which students prefer which method

Iā€™m interested in doing a data grouping (categorization) activity based on the picture/list activity so see what different perspectives arise.

Data is the foundation of computing. I want them to make connections between lists and endless uses they have. My goal is that they can make the connection to data and computing.

I am looking forward to that AHA moment, like the one we had in our PD when we saw the list and picture activity outcome. I want to see my students acknowledging real life application of what they learn.