U1 Day 11-14: PD Discussion Topic

I’m impressed with all the ideas people are brining. Not sure if l be able to do this one or not.

Our school does have the newest version of Photoshop, but it is being run on older hardware, which will not render the 3D modeling. I am going to investigate what level of rendering our hardware will support and go from there. I am interested in seeing what Blender has to offer and see if we can combine both softwares in the lesson. I will report back!

I also would have benefitted from this in class. I saved my beads and now can’t find the picture anywhere on my computer. I would not know how to upload it if I did find it!!

I would have my students look at the three design tools provided as well as the graffiti art tool which will each have the first page displayed so students get an idea of what the user experience is like with each tool. They will then have an individual choice of which tool they want to use and we will form groups based on these choices. Researching cultural background will come on the first day and the second lesson will be spent designing together. After a third day refining their designs they should be ready to make final touches and present on the fourth day.

I wasn’t able to post the image that I created but found the resources to be very helpful. Hopefully I can use the various sites to show my students the connections between visual arts and mathematics.

Whoah! This lesson here is going to take a little time and practice like learning any new software. It is fun and does get students into creating hands-on. The on-line tutorial is interesting and I’m sure through graph paper and other resources the students will become quite adept at using blender and photoshop tools. I think having students utilizing other programs similar to these may help facilitate greater student productivity and achievement.

Since we just finished discussing data - how it can be presented and how the manner in which it is presented affects the interpretation of that data - I would like to have students use applications (or a combination of applications) such as Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Photoshop, Paint, Fireworks, etc to present a set of data that is on a topic they are interested in.
Other resources similar to Photo Shop would be Blender (haven’t checked it out yet) as mentioned in Unit 2 or Fireworks.

Students are going to be excited about learning how to image edit. I’ve not had a class that is being introduced to image editing not get excited about it.

Very disappointed in this lesson as written. I see no reason for the editing in Photoshop (or Blender) at this point. So I didn’t bother to take the time. It adds nothing to the concepts being addressed, and merely adds a lot of time.

With the tutorials, I think the students will remain engaged, and I’d rather have them poke around some of the other culturally situated sites provided than with photoshop or similar.

I know of Blender, but have not used it - to throw that into a learning mix is more frustrating than helpful.

I made the design with the Navajo Rug Weaver, and then used Photoshop Express for Windows 10 to make a slight change to the appearance so it would be a bit more colorful. I think a good lesson for a lot of these type things is that if went back and changed the colors in the Navajo Rug Weaver I could have make it a lot more vibrant than by trying to change it with Photoshop.

I plan to use some of the videos here such as the Elon Musk to show how 3D CAD design is heavily used to make it much more cost effective to design big, expensive things (the B2 bomber was an early example of this) by testing different ideas in the virtual world instead of making many expensive prototypes. I also like to emphasize to students how there are a lot of jobs in CGI by asking if they ever watch the credits in movies that use a lot of CGI (Transformers, etc.). If you do, you see three to four columns of 20 to 30 names who do that kind of work.

Sorry, I ran out of time to create an image. We are in the middle of this lesson right now. I believe the kids were happy that they were doing something on the computers other than searching. We will try to relate to computer science through the reliance on patterns and mathematics, whether intentional or not, found in these cultures and how they are well-suited to be computerized.

I don’t think tht there will be a problem of the students being engged with this unit - they won;t want to move on.

I want to do the blender thing. Looks fun!

I plan to use Blender to have the students re-create a “suspect” or crime scene (piece) based on a description from a witness, and one from a Police Officer’s notebook.

I am going into more depth with the previous data lesson, so I haven’t taught this yet. Will post more later once I have.

We haven’t gotten to this lesson yet, we are doing this week…

I plan to start with the basket weave maker but will also let my students experiment with bead loom or rug weaver. If time allows I’d really like to try the grafitti grafter.

My simple design:

Hi Frankc - Have you seen tinkercad.com? Good free alternative to Google Sketch Up for most things

I do not have access to Photoshop so I will probably use the Preview app because our students have MacBook Airs.

For me, this seems like a really logical connection. Aside from the need for computer science to create the software required, the spatial elements of 2D and 3D modeling and animation connect well to how the mathematics of programming works. Many of my students are interested in gaming, animation, and the more visual aspects of computers, so it is great for them to see how the end produce is manipulated by code to allows models and maps to interact, animate a rig, etc. I don’t really find photoshop appropriate for this lesson. I think a vector program like illustrator or a 3D modeler like 3ds Max or Blender would be a better fit. They really aren’t that difficult to use, and the results are better.