U1 Day 5-7: PD Discussion Topic

I want my students to know and understand how to discern the difference between reliable and unreliable websites. I will strive to help them know how to analyze web pages for themselves.

I particularly like the “filter bubble” TED talk. That will be great to spark discussion. I’ll also have groups investigate relevant websites to check authenticity and will have students use a rubric as in suggested lesson plans. I’ll check with teachers from other content areas re: things they’d like to have emphasized. I like @sthomas thoughts of approaching this from a programmer’s perspective. Thanks for sharing that!

I’d like to recreate the speaker experiment when he had several friends Google the same topic and compared their results. This would be interesting to try with they kids and see what happens.

I will have students use the internet to find different resources individually and compare with their groups. I will also have them try searching different topics when they are logged onto their personal account to compare the results. I think this lesson will be fun and engaging because it is relevant to what students do everyday.

I’m not sure the challenge is to keep them engaged but to keep them engaged constructively. I believe starting with some internet history and purpose to the internet will give them a framework to start with. Social media is pervasive in their world now and should be a topic full of lively discussion. The most interesting of which might be what will come next.

I plan to use the techniques that were introduced during PD. I will try to expand and keep students engaged by getting them to categorize many types of interactions with the web.

I plan to have my students do a scavenger hunt as well. I will also incorporate the topic of the progression of the Internet into this assignment. I will also show the Ted Talks Filter Bubble video. It is important that the students not only understand the differences between the Web 1, 2, and 3.0 tools but that they also think about future implications and how they can contribute to web tools development. We will have a class discussion for this part of the lesson. Similar to the activity we did in our class, we will also examine various websites to determine their reliability and validity.

After our scavenger hunt, I also plan to use the “Filter Bubble” TED Talk. I think a side benefit to the information in the video is exposing them to the intellectual talks TED provides. I might consider asking students about their understanding or experience with HTML to start to prepare them for the HTML programming units.

I plan to show and discuss Web 1.0, Web 2.0, and Web 3.0 thoroughly. I want students to see where the Internet has been in the past, what state they are using today, and discuss thoughts of the future internet. I plan to have students do the website evaluation and determine which level of existence the site is mostly. I want students to do the Scavenger hunt to experience resources for finding information. I plan to create a table in Google Docs and display it on the screen and have students search and find the required information. This example was demonstrated during our summer PD and I thought it was very effective.

I like the idea of students writing about their own filter bubbles. Where they get their news from, who they listen to and what things are being “sold” to them through marketing and advertising. I will have students create lists after watching the video to compare to each other. Lists will have both online sites they use as well as real world influences. I will also include their use of social media and the relevant information that is spread to them.

First they have to understand the difference between Web 1.0, 2.0 and so on which also gives the students the idea on how internet technology is advancing. Then I will let them do the scavenger hunt as well. Student will create a bubble map and write their name in the center bubble and surrounded with more bubbles with website names on them which they commonly visited on a daily basis. They also need to write atleast two reasons for visiting those websites. Then I will show the “filter bubble video”, that will facilitate group discussion and reflection.

I plan to use the “Scavenger Hunt” in conjunction with a PowerPoint certification unit.

As we discuss the Scavenger Hunt results, we can talk about which sites were “good resources” and which were not.

From that conversation, we can create new rubrics for evaluating … Think-Pair-Share style

We’ll ultimately have a “Class Rubric” that we can implement going forward.

Along with exploring and discussing the history of the web (1.0, 2.0, and 3.0), I will have students write, list and/or discuss the pros and cons of the “Filter Bubble” and why it is important. Discuss the impact on society. I will also implement scavenger hunt and website evaluation activity. I also like Mr. Effron’s idea of student’s writing about their own filter bubbles. Also, asking students if they notice any evidence of filter bubbles in their web experience (i.e., advertisements of certain products they’ve previously searched popping up on other pages listed).

I like the activity that was done in the PD, start off in class by small groups deciding what you should look for in a good reputable website; then have them pull up the bad website and see if it is reputable using their rubric. As a class I would make one rubric for them to go and check out other websites: our city website, change.org and their favorite website.

As far as teaching ethics I really like the TED talk video: I would give a homework assignment: have them go home and google search a given word: screen shot their first page and email the picture and I would present them with the collage of images the following class with the TED talk.

I took a Google Power Searching class which was video-based. I plan to substitute some of the items in this lesson with videos that Google provides.

I would explain, using different websites, the impact of posting something that will be available for every user. Also I would emphasize the need of monitor and check the information before publish it.

In addition to the pre-packaged resources contained in this lesson, I plan to build some 3D models of the computer components displayed, and put them within a Unity 3D virtual simulator, so that I can provide a measure of hands-on manipulation of parts and assess student learning in a streamlined way, that also happens to be fun for me.

I want to focus on the social media aspects because students have a lot of experience with social media and then facilitate discussion about what the future will be.

Since I will have primarily freshmen students, we will be collaborating with the English teacher on this unit and have students evaluate websites for their research for English papers. Students will take criteria and create their own rubric/guidelines for evaluating websites and classify them as Web 1.0, 2.0 and 3.0. The video intro regarding the Filter Bubble will be used to facilitate discussion and perhaps be the topic researched for collaboration with English class.

Really hard to narrow this one down in 3 class periods. I started writing what I would like to do on this one and I wrote a lot. So it will be exciting to see how this lesson goes and how engaged the students will be?
Not sure I am fully gonna write it all now, but will summarize it:
-students journal and list sites they use and what for. Share with table and create one list.
-tables share 5 and other tables try and list a new five not mentioned. Letting groups ask and share what the sites are about.
-show video explaining 1.0 -3.0 create a chart on white board and have students list sites under each 1.0 or 2.0 or 3.0

• show sample of the scavenger, but then have tables create their own scavenger of 10 to exchange with the other tables . They need to use 1-2 sites listed under the 1.0 2.0 3.0. Show the steps they used.
  • other table share how they did the scavenger and what sites again using 1.0-3.0
    -discuss what makes one route better than another.
  • journal why you would need to evaluate sites you use.
  • read article on MLK. Students journal on credible site or not
    -if time we will pick topics that are being covered in other classes and choose some to look up and find sites and evaluate them in groups then as a class.
    -homework have kids google word and take pic to share in class.
  • discuss in class why same or different?
  • show ted video.
    -journal about fears/excitement/worries for future #.0. Maybe discuss as table? Class?