U1 Day 8-9: PD Discussion Topic

The content that is covered makes the learning objectives approachable. Most student will have some prior knowledge and experience with the content being covered which will help with engagement. I will cover the digital footprint and use myself as an example by searching my name on various search engines.

I think a lengthy discussion on the pros and cons of using computers for various types of communication would be a great place to start. Asking how computers and communications impact students education and how it will impact their future will be interesting.

I think I will update the lesson by using their journal entries (their lists of computer-based communication mechanisms) as our list of methods for the chart they make. This will make the lesson much more approachable (an up to date!) As the list will be extensive, it will be a good exercise to group different mechanisms into larger categories first. These categories can be put on an axis of the level of exposure vs. the level of personal contact they require. The “Comm methods chart” lesson will be more relevant, then.
I do like the privacy activity a lot. I would also like their input about situations they have experienced.
The idea to have them create LinkedIn accounts is great. Maybe have local HR people come in and evaluate them and talk about how to present themselves online as a supplement.

I definitely plan to use the articles that were posted. Students need to understand that they cannot trust everything they see on the Internet. Computer systems can be hacked and this is a reality in our world today. I would also use the Snap Chat app as an example of why it is important to be careful about what you share on the web. Many students do not realize that just because they delete something, doesn’t mean it is gone forever. Awareness and responsible use of the Internet will be a focal point for our small discussions as well as our whole class discussions.

I especially liked the article regarding the use of social media in hiring decisions. We’ve had several instances of social media being used to bully or for sexting. Students should be made aware of how their activity on social media can have lasting effects. I liked the suggestion of students creating a LinkedIn account. I might include a resume writing activity.

I think this would be a great discussion into privacy and accessibility. These lessons are relevant because students still post everything without seeing potential consequences. I would like to focus on the aspects of the lesson that point out flaws in digital communication (i.e. Snapchat). There are also some great insurance ads that start with a family posting vacation photos and stating to the world how long they would be away from their house. In the meantime, the person auctions off all their stuff.

One technique I can use to help my students identify the impact of internet communication is to have students write two journal entries. (1) Write an experience you have had on the Internet that was very helpful and beneficial to you. (2) Write an experience you have had on the Internet that was very unfortunate, disastrous to you and how it impacted you.

I can just pop open one student’s Twitter, show how they have “quoted” some posts and use that information to help students see how they aren’t “invisible” online and use that conversation along with some SnapChat horror stories to discuss how permanent content really is.

Great lesson! So relevant , the activities will lead to great class discussions.

Lots of relevant material here that will lead to spirited discussion and journalling. Especailly in regard to social media and the impact on communication and relationships. Discussion can include pros and cons. Also privacy issues with employers will be another great topic to discuss.

Students should be able to really make a connection with this lesson. However do they really understand the impact. I would also wonder if there usage of this type of communication negatively or positively influenced their human contact.

this is a very important topic to talk about. There are so many things to discuss here, the impacts of social media on relationships, daily lives and even safety. I will definitely be integrating my safety and social media “talk” here.

Students are truly no aware that all the things they do on social media today will affect their tomorrow. I will begin trying to find articles or blogs on people who have experiences losing a job or not getting a job or not getting admitted into a college because of their social media. I know that it has happened I just would like to find it in print now.

I think the topic of SnapChat makes it approachable since that is what my students are in to right now. I think this is a lesson where student prior knowledge can be tapped through discussion.

The use of social networks should be an easily approachable topic for many of my students, due to the popularity of Instagram, Snapchat, Vine and similar services. Centering the learning objective upon the network’s potential openness concerning private data is the difficult vein to explore, since it is a more sensitive set of ideas that are nuanced and occasionally subtle. Around our campus there are posters warning about the dangers of rumors spread online, or the scenario when formerly private material become public on campus. These warnings are so commonplace that I fear students may become numb to their risks until it happens to one of them.

Nonetheless, I intend to use examples of articles about celebrities being violated as part of the introductory basis to have discussions and reflection about the implications of social network privacy, and possibly carry over to topics such as law enforcement surveillance programs that expose supposedly private attributes to strangers as well.

Students are very familiar with social media so that will help get them engaged. I think the snapchat case study will really help them understand that what they put out on the web is there permanently.

There are some great and very relevant ideas here - creating a profile on social media for students to evaluate as though they were an employer will flip the tables and give them insight on the other side of the story. A discussion of laws and previous incidents surrounding sexting (particularly with SnapChat) and the impact that releasing or distributing photos can have on their lives will be essential topic to discuss.

I would have them think about what type of job they would be interested in and then have them contact someone in that field. Ask them to give them feedback, pros and cons of what would stop them from getting a job in that field that a potential employer might look for on the web. Or help them find someone and you be the middle man of relaying information. I have had kids that have been interested in law enforcement, and I have forwarded the request from my email to the adults. It also insures that I look over what is being sent ahead of time as well :wink:

I think it’s always important to start with kids journaling about the topic, get their minds prep for topic. I would have them list all the social media they use and any other communication tools they use. While they are writing in their journals I would go around and give them all the communication methods chart to fill in. Give them couple min to mark on chart before they share with table and discuss what was same or different. Then have a spokesperson share with the class. I would then go into asking them about how any of these communication tools may ever backfired to them or someone they know. Depending where this leads and time, I would go into the snapchat law/ story. The next day I think I could start off with the video of the mom getting fired, or another video if I find another. Talk about it for couple minutes then have then get in groups and hand out a scenario to each and give then time to put together a quick presentation discussing their scenario. If time open it up to rest of class to talk about. I would like them to finish up journaling/thinking about future careers they may choose and what silly or purposeful things they could be linked to and what that may mean to a potential employer?

In the 1st half of the lesson I want to bring forward the idea depersonalization of intercourse by the removal of communication channels as you move from in person conversation through phone conversation to texting or emailing. At each step some channel of communication is lost; i.e., the visual and tactile channels are lost when the intercourse moves from in person to phone, auditory channels are removed as the intercourse moves from phone to text or email. This depersonalization can be used to decide the appropriateness of means for the various communication contexts in the exercise.

I’m going to fish for the imagery that information placed on social media is like unattended book bags left in the hall…

Social media is a huge part of our students’ lives. I plan on having my students search the internet for legal cases that have surfaced due to social media. Each group will then share their findings.