U1 Day 8-9: PD Discussion Topic

First I will pose the warm-up question, "Have you ever searched for your name in the internet? What did you find? If they are in-front of a computer, they may try this and find it out by themselves. Hopefully this will ignite a hot topic for discussion. Then I will present a news or an example of a real-life consequences of privacy breeches and ask them questions like what data or information of the person were available online, how did other people found this data, what were the consequences and how could have been avoided.

I always have students Google themselves. I also show a youtube video “Internet Danger- Everyone Knows Sarah” https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ThxmgXMBpoM
It tends to make them see the power of what they post.

The learning objectives are approachable to students as 99.9% of students are involved in some type of social media. I think students really don’t realize the potential negative affects of social media, they tend to just see the here and now. I will definitely use the video resources in the packed content and use grouping/discussion strategies to examine the impact of internet communication.

I think it is important for students to realize that information never actually goes away. Looking at case studies that shed light on the different ways tech companies collect data is beneficial as well as all the instances where information breaches have occurs. It feels like it happens just about every week now!

Since this lesson deals with social media and some of the pros and cons of those different applications, it will be approachable to students because they will be familiar with the topics of discussion. Some of the students probably have not thought as much about the impact of social media and other online communication, though, so this will be a good opportunity for discussion. Reflecting and journaling will be important in this section and I also like the Privacy Activity in the curriculum because it will get students thinking about the information they put out to the public.

This lesson has very real meaning for students. They interact with the internet on a daily basis and most have some sort of social media connection. I would like to bring in a few local examples of privacy issues we have at our school to really bring it home. I plan to have a discussion of how privacy affects their lives, personally.

I think everything about this lesson makes the objectives approachable. This is the social media that the students are using everyday and it will be important for them to see how it is a great tool to use but also how quickly it can turn against them.

I think the best technique is to demonstrate how something on the internet is always there and I really liked the article about interviewers looking at social media profiles. It will be important for our students to see how anything they post can be seen and can even keep them from getting a job.

Today’s students are very tech savvy and I believe their interest in computers and communication will hold well through the unit. They need to be reminded and/or introduced to the consequences that happens when using computers to communicate, whether they be good or bad. I plan to use some real life stories and/or share some of the given resources with them where they can see the effects of computer communications.

The use of computers for communications and the impact this has had on society is a great lesson for the students and will be very effective using the activities included. It is very important for the students to know how digital communication is used and the impact it will have on their lives. I like the idea that posted by a colleague using LinkedIn to making the concept relevant to the real world. I found a video that asks questions concerning ethics, which is very important to our society and our students. Hopefully the resource “Digital Ethics and the Future of Humans In a Connected World” Gerd|Leonhard|TEDxBrussels, https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bZn0IfOb61U will help the students to identify the impact internet communication plays on society.

I think the fact that the subject matter in this lesson is based on the apps and tools that they use everyday is a powerful motivator and makes the CS concepts and learning objectives meaningful. With privacy concerns only becoming more important as they go further online, there is definitely a need for this lesson.

Social media has obviously connected millions together, but the outcomes of that, in my opinion, are less known. Highlighting how this communication tool can change the world is important - missing children reports being shared, Google’s Public Alerts project, revolution in Egypt, Justin Beiber and Colbie Caillat becoming world famous for their music spread on YouTube and MySpace, etc.

I think using snap chat is a great idea. I will have students create a scenario that is pg that includes how snap chat can be used against them. This will hit home and really bring out the ideas of the Internet. We will jigsaw and have students discuss the main issues.

Some of my students are currently working part time and have social media connections with their co-workers and bosses. It would be really cool to have those kinds of discussions about the decisions we make when it comes to what we share and who we share it with.

I might ask my student to volunteer themselves posting a selfie holding the code.org logo and share it on their favorite social network. Then the students can make a list of who would possibly see that picture and who liked the picture. It would help them think more deeply about how far and wide a single image can go around their world.

The concept of leaving digital footprints is one that teens should be exposed to. The activities in this lesson may be eye-opening for them. I’m looking forward to see how they will imagine their communications without the Internet and the Apps they take for granted.

I think that impressing to student how important it is to use social media responsibly is essential. Many students do not realize that what they post as harmless sharing could have life long consequences. From college acceptance to jobs to security checks. Many door cam be closed because of what they post.

I really like the linkedin idea! I might instead have another teacher from a different department, or different school look at these linkedin profiles. Our principal is probably too busy for something like that!

Most students are fascinated with social networking and I think each person can identify with at least one experience where they felt happy, sad or uncomfortable about a social networking situation or anything via the internet. One approach that I would implement would be for students to research positive and negative impact of social networking and share their responses with one or two classmates, Then, have students share as a whole group for those who would like to share.

I think students will be engaged because many think they “own” social media and will be surprised to use it for class. To point out that privacy settings may leave information exposed, students will analyze several (previewed ahead of time) profiles to find security and privacy issues.

I really liked the idea of breaking down Snapchat to determine what areas/programming was the source of the problems.

I plan on having students tell me what they would look for if they were an employer and why? Their journal entries would enquire about is it fair or not. There are still some young adults with NO SOCIAL MEDIA and they are looked at as strange, but we need to explore why they are making a good choice for their future. Your friends, their friends, what the clicking can lead to, etc.

Social media is such a major part of the student’s lives. This is going to make this lesson very approachable for the students. I want to make this as engaging as I can for the students. I believe the potential for great discussions is very high in this unit. The LinkedIn project that was suggested is very interesting. I will do this with my students also. My principal will love it!

I like the idea of group work and presentations around positive and negative consequences of social media engagements. I would also discuss this topic from a global perspective in terms of privacy laws which differ greatly country to country.