U1 Day 8-9: PD Discussion Topic

I really like these. THANKS for posting.

I have been ‘preaching’ this to students for years. I plan to use the activities in this lesson as is. Additionally I will use this video

to show the dangers of social media. Our kids are over-exposed now and it is getting worse.

I may have them research not only Snapchat, but other tools/apps (Yik Yak, Twitter, etc.) and have a debates on the pros and cons of each. then throw it over to a jury to weigh in on whether its more productive or harmful. For example: Twitter brings people together, but could also provide a worldwide communication tool used in the heat of emotion that causes irreparable harm to image.

I like using the Everfi:Ignition course with my students. It is a digital literacy course, and part of it addresses internet safety and privacy issues.

I think students will really relate to this lesson. They are very familiar with and use social media on a daily basis. I think they will have a lot to say about it.

I will have the students share experiences they have had with Snapchat and other social media apps.

I think that privacy really resonates with the kids. They are right at that age where they area realizing that they like their privacy sometimes, and realizing that online there are so many things that are invading privacy to varying degrees really grabs their interest.

Convincing the kids that the internet has had a tremendous impact on communication seems easy, they seem very on board with the idea already. Last year I had a talk with the kids about internet marketing. I asked them if they had ever noticed how the adds that pop up on many websites will have links to items that they had recently viewed on amazon. We then discussed cookies, and the general sale of personal data by companies. The idea that websites are using your personal data to market to you was a good way of introducing the idea that we should be aware of how out personal information can so easily get out there.

This issue is key to students. The Snapchat example should engage students. This lesson is key to exploring privacy issues online. I want to engage students with some big questions we visit at the beginning of the lesson and again at the end.

I will jigsaw various situations in which people were affected by poor decisions using the internet.

I will stress the importance of communicating too much information. Be very careful of what and how they communicate.

There are lots of relevant examples in this lesson. I plan on relying on personal examples and news stories (as well as selections from Blown to Bits) to help my students identify the impact of internet communication.

Since today’s students are very much tech savvy, giving scenarios about data breaches should make this project very approachable. I will focus on the flashlight app that was downloading personal information when activated.

Many students do not realize the digital footprints they are leaving behind when they are on the internet, especially on social media. Also, maybe let them know the information may be viewed by a potential future employer. Hopefully, the lesson activities will be eye-opening for them.

I know that employers are looking into the social network information about an employee when he/she hires them for a job. Therefore, students need to be more aware of what they are putting into these sites because it may hinder them later on from getting employment in the future.

Communication through computers (including phones) is extremely relevant to the students as that is the world that they live and breathe in every day. So they get the concept of computers and communication what is difficult is having them understanding the impact of the information they share with others can have consequences.

One technique I would do to have students identify the impact of communication is to create a list of all the ways they communicate then list and the advantages to the communication method. Then pair up and trade list and their partner would have to list all the disadvantages to their methods.

I would use the Wayback Machine to show how things on the internet stay around even if embarrassing or not.

I plan on relating this to privacy on their phones. How private are their text messages? Has a text message that they sent ever caused them trouble when someone other than the intended has read it. I would draw a parallel between this and the broader sharing of information expanding out the questions.

I will have students understand that anything can be recovered, specially if it is posted on the internet. Show them various methods that people might use to recover photos on the net and hoe people can take screen shots of pictures on snapchat. Have them journal the pro and cons of web3.0

In 2003, I lost my job because of a friend posting a “news forward” on Myspace about some inappropriate content. Notice I say “I lost MY job for someone else’s post”. This person did not even live in the same section of the US as I did and I rarely logged into my account in the first place. I lost my job because when you are online, you are responsible for your professional reputation and all that is attached to it…whether you see it or not.

I always have my students “Google” their names plus the state they live in and then I tell them to do the same for family members. It’s amazing the results they see when they do Google “Amanda Chapin + Arkansas”. Sometimes they will find someone that has the same name but was in jail for 30 years or is a world reknowned athlete and they always find themselves and their facebook pages (when they think this is private information because they have made their name something different than their birth certificate name). We then start talking about privacy settings and how the computer found out their “secret” online name. HA!

I want my students to be familiar with netiquette and understand how things can influence someone or cause harm. Also they need to know that nothing is ever gone forever and being careful online and while communicating or sharing information they need to be careful and know who they are talking to. You can find out so much about people today online that it is very scary and I want them to understand that. I like the idea of having them Google their own names and see what they come up with.