U1 Day 8-9: PD Discussion Topic

there’s no shortage of disaster stories with online sharing. A little bit of research into real-world impacts of this, such as job losses, or financial hardship, rather than embarrassment are worth discussion

I like the use if snapchat to make the lesson more relevant. Many good ideas in this forum.

In the past, I have used examples of uprising in Egypt to explain to students how using the Internet along with its communication applications can change the what people live. I’d go into further discussion about Twitter and Facebook’s impact on social changes in other parts of the world with the intent for changing policies or garnering support for an individual or group.

This lesson is about what many of my students love to do: be (communicate) online with friends. Therefore, the lesson will be very approachable to them. I will endeavor to focus us on them, and the evolving web.

I plan to use all the resources provided but in addition I will reach out to the NYCDOE Connected Foundations DIG/IT office, which provides 100% online courses on Digital Citizenship and Digital Footprint. I taught a course called DIG/IT and one of the units is very similar to this lesson. The courses are still free for us, I am not sure if they are free for all NYCDOE school. (I will try to find out and share)

http://schools.nyc.gov/community/innovation/ConnectedFoundations/default.htm

This other company below shows how a students cab become a Digital Citizen:

http://connectedconsulting.com/resources/twenty-first-century-skills/digital-citizenship/

1 Like

Another excellent website for inter net safety is the FBI site. excellent course for lower grade levels, but all students can benefit from doing the course.

1 Like

To make it relevant to students I will discuss facebook and shapchat issues. Discuss the dangers of revealing too much information hand how it can impact job and scholarship opportunities. Also want to take about the connective nature of digital communication. Many of my students participate in the Stock Market Game and would like the overlaping of content from this course and that of their Economics or Personal Finance Course.

The first half of the lesson really allows students to explore their own usage of internet communication whereas the second half allows students to consider the implications such communication has on privacy. There are many points in the lesson that I could see students debating the positives and negatives of internet communication.

Would you still anticipate this taking only two days?

The snapchat addition makes this more relevant.

I plan to have a discussion with the students regarding social media and how once something is uploaded or posted it could end up anywhere. In addition, I will introduce other social media sites that would help their future careers such as LinkedIn. Students will have the option to create a professional profile and understand the importance of posted appropriate material.

what makes it approachable is every student has some sort of social media account. i will use an article that just got published in the paper about 2 days ago and a young man who graduated from school poor choice on voicing his right to speech on his vehicle and how social media exploded over his poor choice to make a point.

I like the first half of the lesson that starts with the journal entry and then the communication methods chart and would follow that part pretty closely. As part of the discussion, not only would I want to bring up privacy to launch into the day 9 privacy activity, but I would also have students discuss other implications of instant communication, such as how this may change our interaction strategies over time and have very real effects on our cognitive make up.

On school resource officer (an actual police officer) is available to come in and talk about the impact of internet communication. I also have a few incidents from past students that I can share.

1. a student that had the FBI visit his home because of the message he sent to the white house.

2. our school district was contacted by their ISP who had been contacted by an European ISP provided regarding the content one of our students posted to a message board.

There is also the recent example of the girl who through social media - help to push her boyfriend to suicide. NYTimes article in the last week or so. We also (real close to home - district next door to us) had the Marysville-Pilchuck shooting. Where communication through social media was a part of things.

I would be happy to write out longer descriptions of 1 and 2 (I also have a 3rd and 4th example) for any teachers that might like to use them in their classroom.

1 Like

There are many examples of how social media has gone bad for teens. I’m going to give students case studies and allow them to reflect on them and present them in class.

I like the structure given and definitely liked the video about the college baseball player who got kicked off the team and lost his scholarship because other people posted pictures and descriptions of him drinking underage. While we have to be careful to not overdo these stories because most of our students have already heard them, we also need to consider that some of our students haven’t heard most of them because they’re living in their own “Filter Bubble”. On an even bigger level, everyone today needs to basically assume that anything they do can be on video, and we need to act accordingly.

I teach a group of seniors and they are all too aware of the dangers of digital/internet communication. The biggest problem is they are teenagers who feel vulnerable and immune. In other words, it will never happen to them.

For good or bad, computers are with us and the way we use them is vital for student growth. Netiquette in social media and networks needs to be addressed and the impacts they have on people. I think most students live everyday knowing how easily we are connected to one another and having the ability to send and receive information can have beneficial and negative consequences. I could easily see myself giving them a “real life” circumstance where someone is impacted and have them share effects of it.

I would use this lesson to inform students that they should be wary of what they post on social media because many employers are now looking at these sites to inform them of the type of person that they are about to hire. They must be very diligent of what they post because it can remain on the site for years.

I plan to introduce the SnapShot incident to lead into a discussion about how an incident like this could affect students personal lives. Then expand on that to how employers, landlords, etc use social media to get personal information and the effects that can have on a persons’ life. I would like to have the students finish with a group presentation on how a hacking incident, privacy issue, false information that goes viral, or the use of social media by others to get personal information can affect them personally and/or its’ effect on society (local, nationally, or globally).

Many students are finding that internet can be a blessing and a curse in terms of social media. Comments and pics that are placed and put on to twitter, facebook and other sites can be taken down or deleted … but as many find out they are not entirely gone! Privacy is a huge topic of interest today and the way to make it an approachable subject to students is to have them journal a particular time when a comment, pic or such that they made impacted them. I would give them an article or situation of a person who has been impacted and have them write about this in their journals having them reflect about the effects of the internet communication.