U2 Challenge Decisions

I will be doing the binary unit.

Iā€™m planning on working on binary but cornrow curves is always an awkward lesson for me.

Binary from CS Unplugged.pdf (504.5 KB)

Partners were Renee Smith, Kathy Krohnert,

I have used this lesson borrowed from CS Unplugged. This is a great activity to introduce binary to students. I teach High School and they loved it better than trying to show on the board, etc. Students use the cards and show the binary number as I, the teacher, give them a new decimal number to convert. A fun activity. Pull out the cards a few days later and give them more numbers to convert for 5 minutes or so. They like the challenge to see who gets the conversion first.

Thank you for posting Leah Dee

Partners were Renee Smith, Kathy Krohnert,

I have used this lesson borrowed from CS Unplugged. This is a great activity to introduce binary to students. I teach High School and they loved it better than trying to show on the board, etc. Students use the cards and show the binary number as I, the teacher, give them a new decimal number to convert. A fun activity. Pull out the cards a few days later and give them more numbers to convert for 5 minutes or so. They like the challenge to see who gets the conversion first.
Binary from CS Unplugged.pdf (504.5 KB)

I plan on working on the Minimal Spanning Tree from day 17. I plan on having the students organize the best routes from all of their houses in regards to getting to the school. I could also see me extending this by each student picking a set location around the world, and once in a group they can figure out the most efficient and effective way to travel to each location.

I chose to do the Binary Counting lesson.

I will be doing day 10-12 the binary counting lesson. I like having the students use their binary cards and when I put up a number they can move their cards in the right sequence and I let them challenge their elbow partner as well.
binarylesson.pdf (22.1 KB)

I will be tacking the binary lesson. Day 10-12

I will be working on Day 10-12 Binary.

Here is my lesson plan for Binary NumbersUnit 2-Binary Numbers.pdf (135.2 KB)

I would like to work on the final project. I am really focused on modifying the student data set requirements to reflect what students data actually uses and then have groups modify the rubric to reflect new scenarios.

I worked on the sorting algorithms unit. Instead of using bags of candy or sand, I had my students first research the 5 sorting methods to get a general background and then create a poster for one method that other groups could read. After this, I gave groups a stack of eight playing cards which they had to practice their sorting method with. Then the class became a demo with groups of 2 or 3 walking from station to station observing the sorting algorithm in action and completing a reflection document. After about 15 minutes, walkers switched places with demo-ers.

cornrow curves lesson Abrego 29Q498.pdf (311.3 KB)

This is my lesson on Cornrow Curves - Unit 2 days 7-9

I created a form to guide my students note taking. Students spent one period researching the culture and history of braids, one period practicing with the design tool, and one period generating a design to a written specification. Part of the the third period was also spent in gallery walking and debrief.

The pdf contains the one-page outline, guided notes worksheet, braid challenge assignments and two examples of student-generated work.

1 Like

This is my challenge lesson for Unit 2 Lesson 10: Binary Code.

I have decided to complete the Day 10-12 lesson introducing counting in binary.

A.Sutton-Unit2Day10-12CountinginBinary.pdf (269.3 KB)

This is my Challenge Lesson for Unit 2: Day 10-12. The objective of the lesson is to introduce the purpose of binary numbers in computer science. At the completion of the lesson, students will know how to calculate and convert numbers to/from binary to the decimal system of numbers.

For my challenge lesson I will do the Unit 2: Day 10-12 lesson on binary. I will work alone.

I will be doing day 10-12 Binary.
The objective of this lesson is to introduce binary numbers.