U3 Day 1-2: PD Discussion Topic

U3 Day 1-2: PD Discussion Topic

My class morphed this discussion into how kids these days seem to count everyone as a “friend” because that’s what it says when you add someone online. You become “Friends” or “Buddies”…this gives a false sense of familiarity and is dangerous for kids who may not understand the difference between real, physical friends and “friends” met online.

I think the whole “Think before you post” thing should still be drilled in students’ heads. They should not share their personal information.

Think before you post and never give out personal information.

I believe that the students need to understand the importance of knowing who they interact with online and they don’t have to “friend” everyone who asks to be friends. I also want to make sure they think about what they are posting online and if it’s necessary in the sense that it have a true benefit to someone or something.

Think before you post - your reputation and privacy will be out there for the world to see. You can be anyone you want to be online. Did you know that Facebook lies? I can make you believe my life is perfect - I can make you want to BE me online. Is that in fact the reality of my life though?

These thoughts alone could create some interesting discussion.

1 Like

I think that students need to be reminded to think before they post online. There are often current news articles in the major news sources that discuss security vulnerabilities.

I think that students should be aware of the effects about Social Media. They must understand that posting without thinking could come back and have negative effects.

Students are not always aware of the effects their posts can have on there future, for jobs or for admission in to college. Once they hit send hey no longer have control over the post. We discussed the importance of drafts. If you are about to post something while you angry, you can type it in a draft, save the draft, and then later when you have calmed down decide whether or not it is really necessary to post.

my students felt the Myspace was dating the material…lol

Cyberbullying… Be careful with online discussions…People are not always who you think they are

One issue I plan to focus on is the fact that their posts can be easily copied even though they are on services which supposedly delete the message after it is sent. There are articles which show that the data is still stored locally or online even after the post was supposed to expire.

It is important for them to know that records of their communications can be kept by their peers or outside entities.

We talked a great deal earlier in the year about the Ashley Madison Data breach, and this has been fodder for many discussions about security as well as sharing your information even in a supposedly secure place. I have also used the resources below that addresses many of these topics:

http://www.netsmartz.org/RealLifeStories
(the video You Can’t Take it Back here is excellent and addresses the permanence of posting information about yourself in a compelling and relateable way for students.)

Students sometimes act as if they are tired of hearing about cyber safety. Still, they can all contribute examples of risky online behavior.

Greetings All

When discussing a topic like this, copy-wright law and common sense are 2 major areas to review. We do not want to destroy the creativity and natural quest for knowledge our students have, however there are some rules that we must obey or change. Sometimes our students do not realize the impact of their actions (using a proxy site to get to another unauthorized site) when using the internet. There are 2 things I would like to see happen:

• Students to have more confidence in their ability to problem solve
  • Change the rules to allow access to websites we need

My school computers are blocked from most blogging sites.

The frontline videos aren’t available and do seem a little “out of date” at this point (crazy how fast and how different things are just separated by a few years).

Something else that needs to be addressed and it’s brought up as much is the whole hashtag culture. Regardless of the willingness to have accounts public or private, students need to also start considering the way that their hashtags link their posts to anyone who searches the hashtag. Apps like Snapchat, Instagram and Twitter are becoming increasingly “me-centered” and there is even less social interaction beyond the like+reshare.

Digital citizenship and online interaction concerns are constantly updated and changing. We need to make sure that students are given opportunities to address these before encountering them.

Same here … the topic of cyber safety is becoming less of a “scare” for them since they do know how to work the privacy settings, but a lot of the risky online behavior isn’t yet changing. The direct apps seem to have changed the way that they share.

Emphasis on exercising extreme caution with any personal information posted and when accepting friend requests on social media sites. Always think about who can see and access information that you are posting. Does what you post reflect the image that you want employers and family members to see?

One of the most things should be issues that apply to them and their lives. Have they had a family member have their information stolen from an online experience…shopping, banking…etc? Has anyone’s identity been impersonated? Do they have any friends or family member had info they posted, reposted and misinterpreted? Often times, they will have stories and experiences they can share.