U3 Day 14: PD Discussion Topic

U3 Day 14: PD Discussion Topic

We might discuss the issue of broken links and the need to check the links frequently to make sure they are still working.

1 Like

Have you ever been frustrated on a site when you are asked to click on a link in site and it didn’t work?

A discussion about the benefits of hyperlinks and the pitfalls (broken links) can be useful.

We discussed Wiki and how you can read through information and a word is thrown at you and you wonder what the heck is that word…and how nice it is just to click on that word and get further explanation. Well I had my students create a getting to know me page and had them talk about various things in their lives, and then had them choose 10 words on their page that they think someone else might not understand or be curious about. They learned how to change the font color of that word to set them apart from the other words and then hyperlink it to better explanations out there on the web or pictures.

My students understood how to use and the importance of using a hyperlink. They had to do several in their webpage design project.

To introduce the concept of hyperlinks and maintaining hyperlinks, I will find web pages with broken links so they can discuss the frustration felt when you can’t find the information you are searching for online.

I think it’s important to talk about broken hperlinks and how that might encourage someone to go to a different site versus using yours. It’s also important to talk about navigation and readability - if it’s too difficult for the reader to find what they are looking for, once again - they will probably not use your site.

I think it is a great place to talk about ease of use. How from a user’s perspective it is much more annoying to have to copy and paste a link instead of being to click on a hyperlink.

It is also a good place to discuss what kinds of things require hyperlinks and how it is used to list references and citations. Then talk about how to go to the source from sites such as wikipedia instead of relying on wikipedia directly for information.

Greetings

A discussion about working smarter not harder, copy-wright law, and the importance of keeping your page updated to include the hyperlinks.

Discussing the difference between internal and external links as well as the responsibility of the webpage designer in maintaining links. NOthing is more frustrating then clicking on a link and it doesn’t work. If they are going to include links they are taking on the responsibility on maintaining the links.

1 Like

My students discussed how images could be made into hyperlinks.

Yes, broken links are a great topic because they are encountered often.

Nice idea. Gives them a chance to express themselves.

We can discuss how hyperlinks and hot spots are necessary to their website be a quality and properly usable.

What kind of discussion would be helpful for students to have around adding hyperlinks to their web pages?

Without starting the discussion, students would grumble when they visited pages and the links did not work or led to unsupported pages.

We did talk about the ‘pros’ and ‘cons’ of using a link to and image vs. referring directly to an image stored within a image file in their Neocities.org website.

This is the topic my group explored and presented in the previous code.org training. Although the concept is pretty straight forward some students have had more patience with the steps than others.

Students were able to relate to creating hyperlinks to list references source and/or citations. Also it is important to discuss the importance of making sure your hyperlinks are not broken which can cause much frustration to the reader.

The topic we discussed involved how the internet wouldn’t exist in the form they are familiar with, without hyperlinks and HTML

If the students website is to be a fountain of information, good links are vital. So having knowledge to setup these links is important. Stress the importance of testing these links from time to time until you are sure you have the process down.