Unit 3 Lesson 20 Activity 11

In this activity students are being asked to create two functions that set the X location of enemy1 and enemy2 at 0 and the Y location randomly.

When referring to the exemplar it seems that the only way to code the createSprite block without designating a location for the sprite requires students to switch to View Text.

Is this correct?

It doesn’t matter where the sprite is created(as in the x,y position) if you change its location before the drawSprites function is called. So you can still use the block createSprite(x,y) and then call the setEnemy1 and setEnemy2 function before you call drawSprites to actually draw the sprites to the screen.
Let me know if this helps.

Thank you for the response.

I depend very heavily on the Example Solutions to frame the expectations for what students should be able to do.

I was questioning how students would be able to create their solutions as directed without access or knowledge of the text as it is in the Example.

The only was I was able to recreate the code as in the Exampe was to change to View Text mode and delete the underline area of the createSprite block, but there was no where in previous lessons that they practiced that skill.

Okay, yeah, after going back to the original example code I get what you are saying. It is strange that they have chosen to use code that cannot be created with the blocks.
This is a good bit of small feedback as to what to incorporate into a newer version of the curriculum. I think a goal is to get the students to type the commands instead of using the blocks and it necessary to introduce all things no matter how small.
So nice catch!

@bpenney

Hi Beth,

This looks like it was an oversight on our part when making the exemplar. Sometimes that’s because the exemplar was created based on an earlier version of the curriculum, and sometimes it’s just because we made the exemplar in text mode and never realized that it was impossible to recreate using blocks.

For most blocks, there is an arrow that allows you to display and hide the openings for the optional parameters. In this case, I think that we changed the way that the block originally worked, so the expected arrows don’t show up.

Regardless, I’d consider issues like this “bugs” in the curriculum. The exemplar should be something that students could reasonably do given the resources they have available. Please feel free to report these problems as bugs in by choosing “Report a Bug” from the menu at the top right of Code Studio. This is the fastest way to get it on our to-do list.

I’m logging the problem with this exemplar so that we can correct it for the next version of the curriculum. Thanks for the heads up.

Elizabeth

Thanks, Elizabeth. I will try and remember to submit concerns like this under the “Report a Bug”.

Beth