Unit 3 Teaching Strategies Discussion

Students have struggled - they want the “right” answer. It has been difficult for me too, not always being confident that the solutions are the best options.

The interest, usefulness and engagement in ECS finally clicked towards the end of Unit 2. The projects finally started clicking and connecting and students are becoming more efficient at working in groups and accomplishing tasks given deadlines. Their creativity and presentations (especially when I limit that presentations cannot just be PowerPoints) has skyrocketed.

My personal difficulty is that I have a harder time assessing how well each individual student has grasped an abstract concept than what I’m used to with teaching math. I’m still getting used to the idea of creating, facilitating and grading projects outside of my field.

1 Like

I agree that engaging all students at the appropriate level is a big challenge. The ECS lessons tend to make this easier. For example, the minimal spanning tree assignment, some students tackled a very complex network while other students worked hard to master the basic concept.

Students are more willing to work together to solve problems. They understand that there are often several ways to solve a problem. Although my students are often frustrated because they just want to know the answer, the sense of accomplishment they have when they figure it out is awesome!

My students have had a period of adjustment because they are used to the traditional model of teaching. I think once they got used to it, it has been more helpful to the student and they collaborate more with each other. I think changing my mode has helped me as a teacher more than the kids because it has made me change the way I look at instructional delivery.

When I’ve used this style before, some students liked it a lot and it led them to research and think more. Some students shut down and need more guidance. I guess finding the proper balance is key.

I enjoy the facilitator/Coach role. It allows more freedom to be innovative and creative. The students like it because, they are not trapped in a box and they are not restricted to one way of learning in the classroom. Also, I think it gives them a break from the ‘normal’ day to day classroom when they enter ours.

This is right in line with the focus of our school. We are moving to personalized learning and on-to-one devices. The concept of student inquiry will put the student in charge of their learning. We just have to be mindful that students may not know what they do not know as it relates to the standards being taught in our courses.

The hands-on engagement activities keep my students moving forward. Asking leading questions will stretch them to try new items.

The model of teacher as facilitator has always been part of my teaching. I enjoy challenging questions because it moves students in the direction of taking ownership of their learning.

More than anything it is empowering to students to feel as though they can work towards an answer, not always being right. The teacher is working along side them to learn as well.

1 Like

My students seem to react well to the hands on, group projects that make up the curriculum. I think through exploration and collaboration they are experiencing learning that is effective for them and possibly more impacting than that of direct instruction.

1 Like

The students respond well to the projects and the choices. Not all work well in groups. This has much to do with the fact that the campus culture is not one of collaboration. It is something that all teachers are working on not just ECS.

When break is over, I am going to designate some students the status of IT help desk if they are willing. These will be leaders in helping others learn html and css.

1 Like

mcloud,

This is a fantastic idea. Having students take ownership and learn responsibility with their newly acquired skill is great! I love to know how this goes next semester!

A thought: maybe have them create screencast and create your own online reference site for your students, built by your students?

Brad

1 Like

What benefits have you noticed in your class with this style of teaching so far this year?

The tenor of the class is one of… we know our job, we know our role, we know your roll and we know we can seek help from our peers if needed… they come to practice, do and learn. It has been great

What benefits have you noticed in your class for your students?

They own their work and they are proud of what they accomplish. Especially during Unit 3

How have your students responded to this style of learning?

Since working through Unit 1 and 2 together, they have grown accustomed to the approach an self monitor and self advance well through their assignments

One benefit has been that my students are not afraid to say something or just try something out. They have had a “go get 'em” attitude for almost all of my lessons or assignments. My classes also seem to run a bit smoother with my transitions between topics or assignments in class. The students for the most part like being the ones in charge. They like coming to my class because they know that they can take charge and explore the concept past what I tell them.

I’ve seen some benefit in this style of teaching. At first students were hesitant because they are used to the teacher telling them what to do vs guiding them through the concepts. Although many are not there yet, many like it and are very proud when they “do it on their own”

As a facilitator students have had a more hands on approach that helps them analyze and think for themselves. Students have taken more ownership and seem to be more open to failure and helping others.

The students are more engaged with the activities because they are doing not just listening and taking notes when they like. The students have been more creative and have learned how to depend more on other students for assistance than the teacher. I feel like I get less questions and the students are learning more about problem solving and working in teams.

I have noticed that my students are growing increasingly more independent with each unit. There are a few who need a lot of “hand holding” as a result of a language barrier or special accommodations needed, but the mass majority have really gained confidence about computer science. As a teacher, I’ve always struggled with differentiation for my accelerated students; in the past, they seem to have become bored easily. However, following this model, my accelerated students seem to understand that they have a green light to explore; they love it!

1 Like