Unit 3 Teaching Strategies Discussion

Most students enjoy working together in small groups on the code projects. However, I do have a student who has stated she prefers to work alone, despite being invited to work with a group. I’m torn between letting her work alone or do I keep asking her to join a group.

Students become more open to each other and the teacher. You have more students participating. Students learn to disagree without becoming disagreeable.

The students seem to enjoy learning more because they are more in control of their learning. They enjoy collaborating to find the answers to solving problems. They don’t feel as if they will fail…they know that they may fail in one section but they move on and learn so that next time it doesn’t happen again.

1 Like

Unfortunately my classes don’t start until 2nd semester.

I’ve noticed that students are able to remember things because they learned them by experimentation rather than lecture. It’s easier for the to recall when they said something themselves, rather than me saying something to them. Sometimes they find it tiresome because they want me to tell them the answer, but they learn better this way

Teaching with the new method as a facilitator and coach has brought out the best in my students. Students are now able to share out their own way of doing things. Having to build the classroom culture with the “Not Yet” concept has encourage my students to take risk. My students do understand it is a save haven to try something new without worrying about being put down by others around them.

I see a lot of positive things to continue to happen.

My students enjoy this method of learning and teaching. Many of them are more engaged in class than they would have been if it were based on traditional teaching.

I have experienced the same momentum in my classes as well - students learning and remembering more when they learn it via experimentation rather than lecture.

Keep up the positive vibes.

Students learn more and remember it through inquiry. The students understands that they have to understand what the problem is and try to find a solution instead of relying on the teacher all the time.

Some students love this and get to share what they are learning with their group. Other students have frustration, but eventually they figure it out. It works in this type of class and forces the students to talk to each other.

I think this teaching style has huge benefits. For one, the students are more engaged. They enjoy coming to class and they have a lot of positive interactions with other students, rather than just coming in and listening to the teacher all day. The students seem to really like this type of teaching strategy more than traditional lecture based strategies. As a teacher, I think it is more fun and beneficial as well.

1 Like

The students are enjoying the learning experience and are engaged in the lessons more than in the lecture environment.

I have noticed that the students are taking more ownership of their work, since it is based on their interests. They also have some control over what they can do, so the choices they make are relevant to them.

They seem to love it! The parents, on the other hand, are having some difficulty understanding the reasons behind this style.

Wouldn’t it be interesting to see if they students were able to tell the parents more about what you would doing in class and be able to apply Their skill set to a different scenario.

Initially, students struggle with this style of teaching because they HAVE to think for themselves and are forced to solve problems on their own without directly being spoon fed the answers. After the initial frustration, students love this style and really are able to take ownership of their learning. They love to teach me and others what they have figured out on their own and it enables them to feel pride in what they learned.

At first, my students took a while to warming up to working in groups, but soon they adapted to the various techniques applied and started opening up and discussing topics. Now, 3 months into the school year, they work well together, listen, share and have productive problem solving discussions- all with respect for each other, yet a vigor in discussions to come up with a good solution.

1 Like

Students have to be more active participants. My students had a hard time getting used to the idea that there isn’t always a right or wrong answer. It’s good to make them think for themselves.

1 Like

It did take time for the students to get used to this style. But now that we are working on HTML I see a lot of interaction with each other. The students know who to go to for help and it’s not always me. Makes the class fun to see what they are learning and teaching each other.

1 Like

I had a girl just like that last year in my Oracle class. She has some Autism and just didn’t really like working in a group at all. There were 2 students that she actually talked to in the class. She went to them for help and otherwise did her own thing. It took me awhile to figure out that in her way she was communicating with others not the way I would have preferred but within her comfort zone. She passed every Certification test I put in front of her. Finished her entire curriculum in the 1st semester(it’s self-paced). I was able to put her into another course to keep her busy and she had that done by the end of the year as well. I did have her participate in a group with the 2 students she was comfortable with by the end of the year, she was still much happier on her own but she comply with my request.

2 Likes

Facilitation is the name of the game. I love it. Students love it. Students learn from each other very well. And I agree with others, if you can teach it to someone else, you know it! I like to adjust my teaching to the student’s needs.

1 Like