Unit 5: Day 1-3

So for my project I selected the data collection topic from days 1-3. I chose this topic because I found most of the topics and lessons in Unit 5 to be thoroughly confusing and ineffective for teaching data collection. In my opinion the entire unit should be removed and replaced with a more straight forward data collection program such as SPSS. Then allow the teachers to formulate lessons around available real world data sets to demonstrate the need and importance of data collection in the computer sciences.

As for this lesson, I found the students would frequently forget to log their impressions at the appropriate time. Either waiting to do them from memory in class the next day or forgetting them entirely. This of course corrupts the data stream as it then relies on their memory of how they thought they felt at that particular point in time. Since only 6 of the students faithfully filled out their journals during the trial period, no conclusive theory could be formed on how they felt during a specific time of day so we were not able to track any trends. Unfortunately this was to be indicative of the entire section. Expressing my frustration with my colleagues at one of the co-horts revealed that they too had experienced similar difficulties and many had simply skipped the section entirely. I hope my honesty here will be taken into consideration.

3 Likes

My students are in a restrictive environment yet we were able to apply some of the principles of this lesson. My students created a survey on a spreadsheet to compare hair color, length, male, female, multi colored etc. The students came up with the criteria themselves to get the most information from their survey. They then accumulated data per groups on campus, added this to a spreadsheet and made pie charts. This was a challenge as the students are not to communicate or “stare” at other groups and then coming up with survey questions to get the most information was challenging for them. It was good for them to turn data into a picture they all could understand.

1 Like

I chose Unit 5 Day 1-3. My students will gather data on school lunches (since the food at juvenile corrections is horrible).

I thought this lesson was powerful. My students always complain about the data we collect from them and they found that it isn’t so easy to do. This unit is not exciting to my students, but they are beginning to see why it is important.

I chose to do Days 1-3 because I did not like the structure of this Unit. To me, it didn’t make sense to start the final project only to go away from it and then come back. I thought it was best to just introduce data collection and then lead into the final project gradually.

The students didn’t really like the idea of keeping track of how they feel in their classes as they wanted a direct answer on the scale. Once we went over their surveys afterward they realized the purpose. We then covered good and bad graphics showing data. This part they really enjoyed because there are some really hilarious bad graphs

Unit 5 Day 1-3. On this activity required by the students will be as follows: Students will gather data on nutritional data on school lunches.

Unit 5 Day 1-3. After the room data collection, I introduce the final project and explain how there will be one major topic that the whole class will research. I then separate the class into a few groups, and they research subtopics of the main topic. This allows them to research their own original material, but it could still overlap with the information collected by other groups, which usually creates interesting conversation. I choose online activities in relations to teenagers for the whole class, and the separate groups decided to choose subtopics such as cyberbullying, productivity, anonymity, and various health issues.

I agree. They need some simple examples to use to understand how to collect, organize, analyze and present the data before they jump into such a huge task.

I did not get to Unit 5 either semester I taught ECS this past year. However, I have chosen to work on Days 1-3: Room data Project.

I like this hair idea. It is so much better when the students take ownership of their research and decide how they are going to analyze and visualize the data collected. Super!

I am submitting a lesson (w/ extension) for Day 1-3. Initial discussion activities revealed the need to adjust the topics to make them less personal (personal information) and more intrinsic. Students were reluctant to give personal information about themselves but were at ease giving data derived from challenge activities.

The “extension” activity involved using some visual acuity sites I had found in the past. These activities engaged the students and easily opened discussions about which data to collect/record and how to record it (I.E. age vs grade level or how to record gender, etc). The activities also illustrated the potential for errors in collecting data (I.E. untruthful responses from survey respondents or mis-identification of gender by observing).

The end result was successful identification of three project topics (by students) that reflected their individual/group interests.160509 U4S1D1 Data Collection.pdf (114.0 KB)

Code.org unit 5 lessonplan.pdf (117.5 KB)

This is my take on Unit 5 Days 1-3. There is a lot to cover in these three days. IF I teach this next year, I may have the students collect the data for the project (Room Data Collection) in unit 2 when we first talk about data. I’ll just wait and see.

Unit 5 Day 1-3. After the room data collection, I introduce the final project and explain how there will be one major topic that the whole class will research. I then separate the class into a few groups, and they research subtopics of the main topic. One group of students decided to make the yearly survey of students their project. They collected and organized and presented the results to the counselor and principal.

The best practices that I would recommend would be the built-in sharing of applications via Google Classroom. That is, students can collaborate online both inside and outside the classroom, which can be in small groups or whole groups. Moreover, of course, the sharing of a google spreadsheet would work ideally for this activity.

My extension activity would be have the students report their data analysis via a website using html, css, and javacript. To grade said extension activity. I would give student a list of criteria to publish concerning specific questions relating to the Room Data Project. Students would have to publish their findings via html, css, javascript with respect to each question along with their actual data. Student would given a find range of creativity with which to design their respective websites.