What Challenged You the Most?

Debugging! I would think I had everything right and then it wouldn’t run. I had a hard time spotting my errors when I looked through the code. It was usually a nesting issue.

The water resources module was very interesting to me and also very challenging. It had many different aspects and things changed around a lot and it was semi-difficult to keep track of everything. I think that some of my students will love this module and really excel. But I foresee other students getting frustrated like I did and needing to work around their frustrations. I am excited to see how the students work together to help one another

I enjoyed remixing the modules and implementing a variety of variables to test different results. It was fun to do paired programming to have more support and collaboration throughout the project.

I think that the simulations are very challenging. It often takes several or many tries before you get the programs to run the way that you would like them too. This is important for us as teachers and for students to experience. I did some programming in a job before I started teaching and this is often how it works in the “real world.” You need to really work at something for a while to get it to run the way that you intend.

The thing that challenged me the most was the frustration I felt when the codes would’nt work and to find where I made the mistake. Looking at it I was not confident enough that I could find my mistake.

The challenge I faced is keeping up with the pace of the Chemistry Module. I felt I needed more time to practice and make sense of the program

Day 1 was intimidating. I felt lost on a few occasions. I refused to give in to my frustration. Day 2 was better. Things still moved quickly, but I has more success. Day 3 allowed for more interaction with the module. This was great. I was able to work through and correct errors made without a lot of assistance.

What challenged me the most, was to “talk the code out loud” to see if it made sense and really did what I wanted it to do. I also kept forgetting about “nested” logic commands as a way of keeping the code “clean”.

Day one and day three were challenging, but day two was confusing and painful. I had the greatest struggle with creating a model to stimulate the spread of disease. This is something I am still working on.

What challenged you the most? Module 3

What about it did you find challenging? working with different agents that performed different functions.

Did you want to set it aside and move on to something else, or did you want to conquer it? I wanted to conquer it.

What challenged me the most was how each of the blocks fit together, in which order , to achieve the desired result.

The most challenging was the coding itself. Not be a technology teacher placed me at a disadvantage because this was all brand new to new and it was a lot to absorb.

I would say the coding itself was challenging.

What challenged me the most was persevering when I got stuck on a particular stack of coding blocks. It was hard to not be an expert at something I’m going to be using in the classroom.

Just getting situated with the programming and where different commands were.

The later modules are more challenging because I believe you have to practice the activities master them first before going on to the following modules. As I review the program in Phase 2 I am having time to review and to better command of the information taught in the PD.

The chemistry model was very challenging for our group because there are some tricky aspects to how the model simulates the reaction. I also was not satisfied with the way molecules interact, and wanted to create more realistic collisions between molecules. I tried a million things but none worked. Finally, someone explained some basics of how collisions are coded that cleared everything up for me, and now I have it working. (I didn’t realize that you couldn’t put the collisions code for BOTH agents that are colliding.) I wish there were a good wiki or documentation for StarLogo Nova, so that I could “look under the hood” when I don’t understand why a block is behaving differently from my expectations.

My greatest challenge was the rabbit and grass model with predators. I could not get my predators to move and eat the rabbits. I wanted to get this simulation to work so badly, but could not find the mistake/s. When we got a break I asked a peer to provide fresh eyes and expertise. We went through each code page by page. It was a great feeling when we finally found the error; we got the predators to move and do their job. The next challenge I gave myself as an extension, was to find the correct balance of agents for a sustainable ecosystem.

I found organizing the blocks the most challenging. When I created a sequence that actually preformed the way I intended it was exhilarating :grinning: !

The greatest challenge for me was the manipulation of the drawers and keeping up with the task. I am certain that this can be remedied by practising.