‘16-‘17 General Discussion for Lesson 5.7

Use this thread to discuss your questions and comments about how to run the lesson.

Just wanted to say that I thought this lesson went pretty well. Some kids raced through it - but they race through everything. I thought it provided good practice for those that don’t always pick up on a concept quite as quickly. I used butcher paper and blue masking tape to create the grid (and smaller pieces of red construction paper that we could move around as the obstacles). I then had one student stand on the grid as the ‘robot’ and we walked through the first few examples together as a class - one student being the “obstacle” re-setter and one student reading the code out loud and coordinating the movement of the “robot” - I projected all the code/grid/etc. on the screen too. The whole packet probably took about 40 minutes, as stated on the lesson plan.
For the last ‘Now you try it!’ programming practice, I had the students prove out their pseudocode on the butcher paper grid (only 3x3 of it though) as they finished up. I think they liked being able to get up and move around a bit. That way the faster students had something to do while everyone else worked on their programs. They stuck around the butcher paper grid and helped some of the slower students work through their pseudocode as well.