Assessment 2: lessons 6 - 10

Use this space for any questions related to the second fixed-response assessment.

Is there a Google doc that has this assessment in it? I’ve been exporting and reformatting to print but I figured I would ask. Thanks!!

Hi @silversh,

There is not currently a google doc with the assessments in them. Thanks for checking.

-Dani

My first two of four classes took this test and mostly bombed it. I am looking over if they really did the stages and a lot did not - they clicked their way through. I warned them that they needed to work through them and ask me if they get stuck because the stages will really help them both with the exam and in their programs that they make. I have to say that these stages take some time to do as well as concentration. I have 78 minute periods and if they really are concentrating, it takes longer than the period.

I realize the most recent posting to this thread before mine was 314 days ago, but I believe the topic is still relevant. There is a similar current active discussion going on in the CSD forum. If the “de facto” grading or lesson objective on the classroom side is to complete a block of App Lab lessons, then for many students, their goal will be to make the circle turn green so they can move on. My system for countering this “click and call it done” practice is that I use a balance of WAYPOINT grades and QUALITY grades. Each series of activities that makes up a lesson is a Waypoint grade to be completed by a certain date. It is either a zero or a 100 (formative grade). Then there are Quality checks to see that students completed certain puzzles following the instructions and goals of that particular assignment. These are normally puzzles that demonstrate key concepts for that lesson; usually one or two per lesson. These grades are also a zero or a 100 (formative grade). By utilizing this system for unit 3, my students did the best they’ve ever done on a unit test. I also publish a calendar expected completion dates for the unit lessons. The student progress chart provides a good means to identify students falling behind. When students come in, you can address individual students’ needs based on prior identification from the chart.

I like how structured and specific your system is.

I also notice many of my students focused on just getting the circles green instead of actually understanding and learning as deeply as I wanted them to (as I’m sure is a very common issue among many teachers). I told them they would have to finish x lesson and instead of checking every single bubble, I selected 1-2 key bubbles I knew students tended to get wrong if they didn’t properly follow the prompt or think through the problem. I just used those bubbles as indicators. So basically I’m doing a very watered down version of your system the way I see it ha.

I think your way definitely is more beneficial in the level of communication of expectations and the level of feedback it provides students. I will have to steal some aspects of it… :wink: