Calculating Grades for Students

I would love to hear how people are grading their students. Do you grade each question on code studio every day. Do you have your students do every question on Code Studio. I know there will be summative assessments for each unit which will be the major grading component for each unit but was trying to come up with what % of total grade should those assessments be. I would love to hear from both teachers who are teaching CSP this year and also from Code.org personnel to get varied opinions on how to weight all of the possible assignments.

That’s the million dollar question for me. From what I’ve read, it wasn’t the idea to have all the stages graded. I have been but it’s only for 17 students. Next year, I’ll have anywhere from 100-150 students so this will no longer be feasible. I liked checking the lessons because I could see if a student was having issues understanding but it takes a long time. I will switch to summative assessments including projects and like those in Unit 3. I have been counting 50% projects and 50% answering or trying everything out in studio. My PowerSchool is quite long when you click on my class!

I’m curious about this, too. Is it common to give exams in this course? Quizzes? Homework grades?

This is a very tentative sketch of some weighted grades.

Tests 10%
Final Exam 10%
Projects 20%
Code. ORG/Code Studio 10%
Blog-Portfolio 20%
Presentations 10%
Khan/ 3rd Party Sites 10%
Digital Notes 10%
Total 100%

Here’s an updated version.
Category Weights
Projects 20%
Tests 20%
Blog-Digital Portfolio 15%
Digital (Notes/Reflections-Gdocs) & (Vocabulary-Gslides) 15%
Presentations-Sharing 10%
Final Exam 10%
Code Studio on www.code.org 5%
KHAN Academy and other 3rd Party websites 5%
Total 100%

In our district, we have to choose from a menu of grading profiles. We decided to go with 40% formative (classwork and graded homework), 50% Summative (tests and practice performance assessments), and 10% homework (really, daily journals and HW for completions).

Andrea

That seems like a lot of work on your end.

jkeays, I assume you are aware you responded to a post of 12 months ago.

Having said that, very few of us have the option of determining our own weighted categories for assessment. My district required weighted system is below. My admin instructional leaders have specific expectations as do the parents in my school community. So I will have some traditional tests in addition to the unit assessments and I will have some vocabulary quizzes. If you have more freedom, then enjoy it.

Grade break down:
Cycle Grade
Tests / Projects / Performance Tasks – 60%
Quizzes - 20 %
Classwork / Homework /Journal - 20 %
-Randle

What do you use from khan academy??

Last year we ended up NOT using Khan as a 3rd party site.

We did however use some extra practice problems via Albert.io and CodeHS

Did you buy the Albert upgrade? Is it worth to do it?
I have only 45 students

No. We never bought the upgrade.

We were allowed around 25+ questions as a trial kickstart.

Students were exposed to this resources if they wanted to purchase on their own based upon our trial.

Any new ideas for grading CSP this year? I’m a brand new teacher, and without textbooks, tests, or homework, I’m a little mystified on how to grade this class. The only assessment we’ve done to date is the end of Ch 1, and my students didn’t do very well. I would hate for that one assessment to dictate their grades for this quarter. I can do participation, of course, but I’d really like some quizzes or other materials to assess their understanding.

@tvalentine

How a teacher determines their grading schemes are dependent on district policy and guidelines.
How often do grades have to be posted? What categories are required? Can you include effort or extra credit? With all of that in mind – anytime you assess students, you can assign points. This includes the activity bubbles, Code.org worksheets for lessons, built in assessments and other teacher created assessments like exit cards or quizzes.

Daily, I usually use at least one of the CYU questions as an exit card or as an warm-up. Each of the worksheets and some of the ‘bubbles’ are also assigned point values. Sometimes, it is graded for accuracy, sometimes for completion, sometimes a mix. If they are not already provided, I assign points to the provided rubics for Practice PTs.

It can be a challenge to figure out how many points to assign. Hopefully, this thread will generate lots of suggestions

Happy computing,
Andrea

@tvalentine

Grading is my least favorite part of the job, BUT I know it needs to be done! I find that most of the unit 1 activities are pretty intrinsically motivating for students so I don’t collect many of the guides. I do collect 1-2 protocols just to force students to write them down and think more intentionally about them.

In Unit 2 I grade their favicaon as well since that is a multi day project. I also put in the practice PTs as test grades in the gradebook - those feel like true assessments of student’s learning and are aligned to the AP assessment as well.

Last year I gave students the code.org multiple choice assessments in a “group quiz” sort of format. I felt like that helped hold students accountable to the learning, but also was aligned to the instruction which was all “group focused”.

So… A) Great question! B) Don’t underestimate the project based assessments - those feel quite authentic to me, even though I teach at a fairly traditional school where pencil and paper tests are the norm, I fully believe the “real world” is a project-based assessment :slight_smile:

I am also interested in what others do here!!

This is the current system I use. I use the activities the student do as daily grades. I may or may not collect the A.G.s as paper documentation. Frequently, I don’t, but a daily grade goes into the system never the less. I give vocabulary quizzes two or three times a grading period. I use Google Forms for ease of administration, grading, and reteaching. Practice performance tasks count as major grades (test weight). I give the Code.org assessment, but not as a test grade. After we have gone over the assessment, I will incorporate questions from the assessment, similar questions, and extention questions. In this way, I can get the minimum required grades of 10, of which two are summative grades.