Code.org - Computer Science in Algebra PD: Teacher Introduction

My name is Celeste and I will be starting my 15th year teaching this year. I currently work in the Bellevue School District, where Microsoft finds its home. I love teaching math, but honestly don’t feel super comfortable on computers beyond the basics of banking and social media. Given that my community is SUPER computer literate, I figured this would be a great opportunity for me to learn and share this experience with my students.
Cheers to a new adventure y’all!

My name is Rochelle and I will be starting my 14th year of teaching. I work for Everett Public Schools north of Seattle. I teach 8th math, Algebra, and Geometry to 8th grade students. I have very little background in Computer Science, but attended Computer Science for High School at University of Washington a few weeks ago and am super excited to learn more for my own learning as well as to help introduce CS to my students! I love to scrapbook and crafting, spending time with my family and friends, and enjoy getting to know people and learn new things!

My name is Rashid Smith and I teach Middle School Mathematics. This is my 7th year teaching and first year teaching Algebra. I have very limited programming experience and I’m excited to extend my knowledge and share with my students.

I teach 7th, 8th, and 9th grade math at Gillespie Technology Magnet School which is on the south side of Chicago. I am a career changer and have been teaching for 4.5 years.

I work at a technology school but am not the most comfortable with technology so in part I am interested in this course to increase my comfort level. The other reason is that I want to be able to offer my students another career option. By knowing how to write code they will have more opportunities in their future.

Outside of school I like to spend time with my daughter going to museums and hiking.

Hello,

My name is Nicholas Barr. I’m a 6th grade teacher at Walt Disney Elementary on Chicago’s north side. I teach every subject, including Math. I’ve always loved Computer Science, and I think it’s a great way to teach valuable skills along with core curriculum. Outside of school, I love to play and watch sports, travel, and spend time with my family and friends.

I teach technology in Chicago.
I like computer.
I don’t go outside much.

I’m Val Sandell and I teach computer science/technology/media to K-8 at West Hills STEM Academy in Bremerton. I have been teaching for 30 years, but have taught this class for only 4 years. I believe it is important for all students to know how to use technology to benefit their learning. I feel that teaching the students to use code to learn algebra may help those reluctant learners.
Outside of school I like to play on the water, spend time with family, garden, hike, etc.

I introduced the school to code.org 2 years ago too. Many of the students love it. I have most classes complete the lessons.

Hello everyone. First time to post. My name is Becky Krebs and I teach Algebra and Geometry at Mason Middle School in Tacoma. I’m interested in using real world applications using Algebra. Outside of school I enjoy playing music and currently play in a few groups. Looking forward to getting to know you all better next week.

I teach 7th and 8th grade math in Mill Creek, Washington. As we look at the potential for jobs and careers for the future, the information of science computer programming appears to be at the core for future advancement. Our students are going to be required to have experience in this area. I realized I needed to be more aware of where and how this field fits into their future. I needed to be proactive to be able to help them out.
Outside of the classroom I like to hike, garden and spend quality time with friends and family, and mostly spend time with my grandson!

I teach 8th grade math and Algebra in Mill Creek, WA. I am interested in computer science because I realize that nearly everything is tied to computers. In order to prepare my students for the future they need to have at lease some understanding of computers. An introduction to computer science in a math class in middle school may be just what some students need to spark an interest in further study of computer science. Computer science offers students a good career and we need to show more students the path that may lead them in that direction.
Outside the classroom I like to garden, decorate and spend time with friends and family.

Hi, My name is Robert and I teach 8th grade math (Algebra) in Tacoma, Washington.
I love adapting my lessons to incorporate more life skills. I want students to be able to connect math to other skills.
During my free time, I enjoy coaching, hanging out with my family, and cheering on the Mariners.

Hello my name is Kierston Castleberry and I teach fourth grade math and I will facilitating an after school computer programming club for grades 4-6. I teach at Dixon Elementary school in Chicago, Illinois. I am interested in teaching computer science because I believe computer science can be incorporated into all subject matters. I observed computer science being used in a fourth grade classroom, and I loved how excited the students were. I would like to learn more about computer science so I can create my own programs that students can use in the classroom and at home.

Hi all,
My name is Luke and I teach technology in Chicago, IL. I love computer science because it helps build critical thinking skills in students. So often, thought gets left by the wayside as assessments and preparation takes top priority in the classroom. I’m excited to help my students think better and solve problems in creative ways.

My name is Shannon and I teach 7th grade math at Eisenhower Middle School in Everett, WA.

I do not feel confident with my computer science abilities and would like to gain more confidence on the topic. My favorite part of teaching is building connections with kids. Incorporating computer science into my classroom will allow me to learn more about it and connect with students in a way I have never done before.

Outside of the classroom I enjoy spending time with my family, taking pictures, scrapbooking, and watching movies.

My name is Jen Lewin and I teach middle school science at Coonley Elementary. I am interested in computer science connections to the curriculum we support at our school. I am trying to make sure the science program is really more of a STEM program at the school.

My name is Sarah Sohn and I teach 6th grade math at Carson elementary. I am not that familiar with Computer Science but am very interested in learning how to integrate Computer science with Algebra. Outside of the classroom I enjoy spending time with friends and meeting new people. I like to try new restaurants and visit places I’ve never been.

Hi I am Nicole Garcia. I am the Techco at South Loop School - part of Chicago Public Schools.

I am interested in providing more Computer Science in our technology curriculum and incorporating it into algebra and science.

Outside of the classroom I enjoy concerts, trying new restaurants ,and most recently wedding planning!

My name is Xavier Loza, I will be teaching Math and Science at Coonley Elementary next year. I am interested in computer science because it is a great tool that I use in my own learning on the daily basis and I want to be able to transfer that to my students. Outside of the classroom I like to work on my classic cars, go offroading and camping, and ride my bicycle.

My name is Faith Fields. I currently teach 5th and 6th grade math at Dixon Elementary School located in Chicago Illinois. I am interested in learning more about computer science in efforts to enhance my craft and create new and engaging opportunities for my students.
My interest outside of the classroom includes travelling, dining,reading and learning new information.