Computer Science in Science PD: Agent Based Modeling of Complex Adaptive Systems - Discussion

The phenomenon I am choosing would be to use this to model to demonstrate disease outbreaks that I would co-teach with a team teacher. I think this would be a great way to help students understand the spread of disease. Agents and environment would include the host virus, spread of the virus, interaction with the public and how it was transmitted.

I think this is a great idea. The fact that so many things can affect the “environment”, such as exercise, weather, food that one eats makes this so much more interesting!

1 Like

The system I chose after watching the complex adaptive systems video was climate change. Some of the agents would be polar bears, CO2 levels, temperature, and the amount of polar ice. The environment would be the arctic. Interactions among the agents would be increasing CO2 levels correlates to increasing temperature. Increasing temperature leads to decreasing polar ice which would correlate to a decrease in polar bear population numbers.

I really like your idea of using this model to demonstrate the interactions among invasive and non-invasive species. I think this is a relevant topic, especially in Idaho where public service announcements about invasive species are regularly seen by students.

I’d have to go back to my previous thought of traffic flow again as my chosen phenomenon. The agents are the vehicles (prey) The environment is the freeway systems (in Boise right now aka predator). The interactions between the agents are the stop and go and overall flow of the vehicles, The agents also interact with the environment as they enter and exit the freeway/highway systems including the reconstruction and new construction improvements of the freeways/highways.

In the video, the system is the underwater ecosystem with fish, kelp and shark. The main question is how underwater ecosystem with fish, help is and shark remains stable?
• What is the phenomenon you thought was a complex adaptive system?
The Interaction of Organism in an underwater ecosystem.
• Who/what are the agents?
The agents will be the kelp, fish and shark.
• What is the environment?
The environment will be the underwater ecosystem where kelp, fish and shark live.
• What are the interactions between agents and/or between agents and the environment?
Some interactions between agents are how organisms feed, how much food they eat and how often they eat, how they reproduce and how they adapt themselves to the environment. If shark feed on large population of fish at a shorter period of time, then, fish will not have enough time to reproduce; eventually shark can displace the fish population. If there will be no predators of kelp then kelp population will also increase.

The phenomenon would be how the sun energy effect the ocean currents The agents would include the prevailing winds and differences in temperature and salinity of the ocean(s). The interaction among the agents influence the ocean currents on the climate of a region.

I would choose space missions (piloted vs unpiloted). Agents would be equipments and materials required for each type of mission and humans in a piloted mission.

I did this in school, and it was very memorable.

I would use this to learn more about waste management.
The agents would be the households in location, recyclable waste, and non-recyclable waste.
The environment would be the area a landfill serves.
The interactions would be household/waste, household/recyclable waste, and household/non-recyclable waste, recyclable waste/landfill, non-recyclable waste/landfill.

The peppered moths evolution due to the effects of pollution from the Industrial Revolution is the system I identified. The agents are the peppered moths, birds (predators) and amount of pollutant. The environment is the English countryside. The interactions would be amount of pollution on trees (flora) the selection of lighter colored moths over darker by predators, and the reproduction of the moths that survived to reproduce.

I like this! It would be something to do in the classroom that is both hands-on and computer agent based modeling. Very nice!

I really like this idea.

A system my students could study is the formation of different rocks such as basalt and sedimentary rocks. They can study all of the different geologic forces such as heat and pressure and how they form the different types of rocks.

I think that would be a highly engaging lesson. When I went to school space exploration was very heavily taught this would be a good way to reengage a new generation.

I chose to model the gas laws. Agents are gas molecules as well as the pressure, volume and temperature. The environment would be a closed container. It would be possible to manipulate pressure within the container, its volume or the internal temperature to see the effect on gas molecule motion.

I would choose one from a previous video and show how water in a community is used. The water, and the population of the community would be the agents and it would show the consumption of water based on rainfall and water found in an aquifer.

I could use this system to model the ecosystem. The agents would be the animals and plants in an area. The environment would be the midwesterrn USA. The plants ans animals would interact as consumers, producers, predator, and prey.

It is great for students to become aware of how these pieces fit together as a puzzle relying on one another.

I posted a similar, less detailed idea about the things in plants and animals in the environment interacting with one another.